Sunday 21 January 2007

The First of Many


Well, here it is. I decided that I needed a place to release my hockey views instead of spewing them all over other blogs and message boards. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Anyway, let's get down to business. Specifically, NHL business.

The NHL has decided that they are going to change their uniforms. Living in the Great White North, I was unable to attend the NHL ceremony for members of the press only last Wednesday. However, the esteemed Paul Lukas, founder of Uni Watch infamy on ESPN.com and the always-informative Uni Watch Blog, was there, and he has promised a 2pm Eastern time article on ESPN regarding the new NHL threads. I direct you there for more info as of January 22nd when the NHL lifts the gag order.

Knowing he was unable to comment on the jerseys, I vented my frustration about this poor mismanagement of the NHL's communications on his blog. However, Paul did drop one major hint about how I may feel:

"I’m back from the NHL shindig. As you know, I can’t discuss any aspect of it, so don’t ask. But I will say this: I was seated at a round table, just two chairs away from the Commish. I kept imagining what Teebz would have done if he’d been sitting where I was. Wasn’t pretty."

All I know is that I am more than anxious to see these new jerseys. If it's any consolation, Reebok has published a picture of Sidney Crosby in the NHL All-Star jerseys (that's him above in case you didn't know). "Sid the kid" is one of the players signed by Reebok to endorse their products. If the new jerseys are anything like that All-Star jersey, I don't think it's going to be bad at all. However, I'm not a fan of the side panels under the arms. While they do match the pants, the problem is that the jerseys turn with the players, thereby moving the side panels off their sightlines.

Also, I'm not sure I approve the loss of the alternate jerseys. I am a big fan of the Oilers' alternate, the Canucks' alternate, the Sabres' alternates (from this point on, the Sabres will be called the "Barney Rubble Hairpieces" on this blog), and the Bruins' new/old alternates (love the lace-up throwback). However, if it kills off the Sharks' monotone black look, the Blackhawks' monotone black look, the Flyers' pylon look, the Avalanche's burgandy Rangers-esque jersey, and the Predators' baby puke green look... I'm all for it.

Hockey Scores: This blog will also update scores from big games in the NHL. Tonight's big game featured the Toronto Maple Leafs visiting the Pittsburgh Penguins. It was big because the Leafs have 50 points, and are tied for 8th in the Eastern Conference with the NY Rangers, while the Penguins have 48 points, and are two points out of 8th in the East.

Jeff O'Neill opened the scoring on a powerplay for the Maple Leafs before the Penguins rattled off seven straight goals en route to a 8-2 victory. Highlights included a pretty goal from Jordan Staal, a Mark Recchi hat trick of three consecutive powerplay goals, five assists off the stick of Evgeni Malkin, and a Jarkko Ruutu penalty shot goal.

With the win, the Penguins are tied with both the NY Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs for 8th in the Eastern Conference. Pittsburgh has 36 games remaining, New York has 34 games remaining, and Toronto has 33 games remaining. The battle for playoff spots has started early this season.

Alrighty, that's all for tonight. More NHL chatter tomorrow. Until then, keep your stick on the ice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Teebz

First, I want to say I think it's great you start your very own blog. I always enjoy your comments on Uni Watch and I will enjoy you entries here I'm sure.

I won't lie to you, I'm not the first to post here, but I thought you would enjoy having a comment on your first entry.

As for my comment per se, I don't think the alternate jerseys should be scratched. Sure, some are awful, but they give teams an opportunity to try out new designs. That, in my opinion, prevents us from getting ugly uni designs as primary home and away jerseys. In short, if a design fans don't like is unveiled as home or away, we might get stuck with it for a longer period of time. My guess is it takes appreciable time to design and approve new uniforms. If a alternate jersey is unveiled and fans don't like it, they can just forget about it and wear the other two jerseys.

That and, of course, the fact that the teams get more income if they sell that third jersey. If they lose that income, won't the fans be paying a little more for tickets? Lots of people already not being able to buy tickets as it is, I don't think it would help the league get its attendances up.

Again, looking foward to reading this everyday. As a matter of fact, will you post everyday?

Good Luck

Teebz said...

I'll try to post everyday, Jonathan. If there is a big enough following, I may allow additional authors as well. It all depends on how popular this place gets. :o)