Everyone says I should be on Facebook or Twitter. Especially during the playoffs. Apparently, everyone is twittering... tweeting... whatevering as the networking service happens to make the playoffs a more dynamic time. Or so I'm told. Personally, I have no interest in either of these sites. I didn't even have a MySpace page when everyone else was pouring over that site, so I'm not about to break my trend. However, I am flipping channels as I sit here, so I've decided to post some random thoughts from the games I am watching. This should be interesting.
- Chris Drury isn't in the lineup for the Rangers. Are they mailing in the loss?
- Sidney Crosby has scored the first goal of the 2009 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs. Gatorade and Reebok began working on new commercials immediately.
- Is Wade Redden a graduate of the "Alexei Yashin Magic School"? He's been invisible all season long.
- Ovechkin looks like a man possessed. The only problem? Henrik Lundqvist is practicing voodoo in the crease. King Henry looks phenomenal so far.
- I called America's Most Wanted a few seconds ago. John Walsh is officially putting an APB out for Wade Redden.
- Mike Mottau - he who scored one goal all season - has New Jersey's first goal of the playoffs. Brian Burke is already on the phone with Lou Lamoriello.
- Scott Hartnell's hair makes him look like Sideshow Bob. I'm glad he lives up to the first half of that moniker.
- I could be wrong here, but Jose Theodore should probably take advantage of his company's vision benefits. He definitely needs glasses.
- Just had to check the calendar. I thought it might be Halloween. FREE CANDY all over the ice in Pittsburgh.
- Eric Staal left the ice midway through the second period. He's in the dressing room filling out a temporary restraining order against John Madden.
- The greatest trick the New Jersey Devils ever pulled was convincing the world they didn't care. Carolina is finding out the hard way.
- CBC's Scott Oake says that Vancouver has "playoff fever". I wonder if Mats Sundin has caught it yet?
- TSN's Gord Miller points out that Viktor Kozlov has never played on a team that has won a playoff series. Kozlov is 0-6 in playoff series.
- The Rangers' penalty kill is a passive box. My advice for John Tortorella? Send out a second goaltender. Your defence isn't doing a damned thing to stop Washington.
- Just in case people are wondering, Dan Bylsma coached the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to the AHL Calder Cup Championship series last season. Stop talking about him like he just walked in off the street, ok?
- Alexander Ovechkin was using another player's helmet for almost one minute. His helmet was knocked off, so he grabbed a helmet from one of the Capitals. Weird.
- Philadelphia must be going through some serious "déja vu" because the Penguins are dominating that game.
- I'm pretty sure that Theodore has no idea what that leather thing is on his right hand. Maybe Boudreau should get him another blocker?
- TSN just flashed on the screen that Redden has an assist in tonight's game. I had no clue he had booked the arena for his magic tour. Redden is the NHL's David Blaine.
- Did they replace the Mellon Arena with a woodshed? Flyers are getting spanked.
- Henrik Lundqvist is unconscious in the net. If it weren't for him, the Capitals may lead by 20 or 30 goals. Easily.
- Who'da thunk that
the New York RangersHenrik Lundqvist would win Game One of the Rangers-Capitals series?
- Philly seems to think that the Broad Street Bullies are back. Alberts with a hard slash, and then Parent with a hit from behind. Sideshow Scott was sent to the dressing room.
- Coburn and Guerin hug each other passionately. That wasn't a fight.
- New York has defeated Washington by a 4-3 score.
- Pittsburgh has defeated Philadelphia by a 4-1 score.
- New Jersey has defeated Carolina by a 4-1 score.
Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!