If you notice a conspicuous absence on here today, it's because I'm on a plane like this one to the left. Ok, maybe not that exact model of plane, but it's a plane. I'll be in the air for most of the day, on my way to Portland, Oregon for a conference. And yes, I'm totally stoked about heading to the left coast. However, not to leave you high and dry without something to read and comment about, here are a pile of links to keep you busy while I'm jet-setting across the North American continent.
- The Reebok EDGE jerseys have invaded the Canadian Hockey League, and I am steaming mad over some of the re-designs. For a complete look at all the jerseys, please click here. However, Chicoutimi's awesome sleeve stripes? Gone. The Ottawa 67s' fabulous stripes? Reduced to almost nothing. The Brandon Wheat Kings' wheat-adorned sleeves? No more. WHY CAN'T REEBOK JUST LEAVE GOOD-LOOKING JERSEYS ALONE?!?
- Huge props go out to a number of people this week! All of these people were quoted by The Hockey News' Adam Proteau during his 30-team previews: (1) Connie Kim from A Queen Among Kings; (2) Earl Sleek from The Battle of California; (3) Kristin Shaw of eager to go psycho; (4) Rick Moldovanyi of The PensBlog; (5) Jeremy Milks of Black Aces; (6) Bob Wage of Canes Country; (7) Gary A. Kreibel of On Frozen Blog; (8) Bethany of Bethany's Hockey Rants; (9) Paul Kukla of Kukla's Korner; (10) Elise Butler of 18568 Reasons Why; (11) David Driscoll-Carignan of Mile High Hockey; JJ Guerrero of Canucks Hockey Blog; and Travis Hair of Five For Howling. All of these people have their blogs linked to the right on the drop-down list, and I suggest checking them out for excellent team coverage!
- In perhaps what is one of the slickest ideas on the web for hockey fans and bloggers, Tyler of NHL Digest has put together an online NHL Player Birthday Calendar! You know you want to search your birthday out. Go ahead... spend all day on there. I know I could.
- Nikolai Khabibulin's new mask design with the Oilers offers up a tribute to Grant Fuhr. It's nearly identical to what he wore in Tampa Bay and Chicago, except it has Fuhr's mask in the eagle's talons and it's in Oilers' colours. Pretty cool addition.
- Pascal Leclaire's new mask with Ottawa has a fairly angry looking warrior-ish "Senator" on the side. The character on the side of his helmet looks a lot like the AHL Binghamton Senators' alternate logo last season. Looks pretty decent!
- For you trivia buffs, here's a little AHL trivia for you. Veteran right-winger Landon Wilson is officially the first player to have signed with the newly-founded AHL Texas Stars. Wilson is a former NHLer, having appeared in 375 games in the NHL with Dallas, Phoenix, Colorado and Boston while scoring 53 goals and 119 points.
Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!