Tuesday 31 May 2011

1400 Is The New 1

I can answer the question on The Rock's shirt to the left: fifteen years. While The Rock's patented line of "The Rock has come back..." can be used here, I don't think it is appropriate given some of the commentary I'm reading on Atlanta Thrashers blogs. These people are experiencing the exact same thing that Winnipeggers experienced back in 1996, and I can only sympathize with them over their loss. However, it is official as of approximately 11:15am this morning in that the NHL has indeed come back to Winnipeg! Because of this announcement, this entry is all about what may happen on this blog.

First, this is the 1400th entry on this blog since I started writing way back in 2007. I never thought it would get this far, and I was quite certain that it wouldn't become a daily adventure. Things change, though, and I began writing daily because great readers like you have continued to stop by and check out my madness. It's just a little unbelievable to me that on entry #1400, I'll have local NHL news to report on once again. So 1400 is the new #1 for me - I begin today as a blogger who will definitely have closer ties to an NHL team.

Secondly, I'm really sad that a lot of Atlanta Thrashers bloggers seem to be closing up shop. Matthew Gunning of Bird Watchers Anonymous was a solid writer on all things Thrashers, and I'd like him to continue to follow the game he loves. The writer(s) over on The Blueland Chronicle has some great pieces, and that work should continue. There are many reasons why all Thrashers bloggers should continue to write.

As a blogger who didn't have the NHL for fifteen years, I began to look at other things surrounding the game of hockey: the history, the other leagues, the lesser-known stories. There are lots of things to search out while not having NHL hockey in your land that can still keep you involved in hockey. As a Winnipegger, I know that we had an IHL and AHL team in the Manitoba Moose to help with the long winters, so I encourage the bloggers in and near Atlanta to support teams like the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL. Sure, it's not the NHL, but it's still professional hockey! Get onboard with a local minor-pro team and find out how much fun those leagues can be!

The second reason I want to point out the hard work the Thrash-bloggers were doing is because I want to open up this site to them. If they want to write, but no longer have the passion for it everyday, I will gladly offer them a refuge to post their thoughts. I may be a Winnipegger, but I understand your pain and anger. If any Thrashers blogger wants to contact me regarding writing, please send me an email. I'm all ears.

With the 1400th post, HBIC starts down a new path. I'm going to see if I can stay close with the team as I was with the Manitoba Moose. I have to say that the people from True North Sports and Entertainment treated me very well while I covered the Moose, and I cannot thank them enough for that. The only way that I can possibly make it up is to continue to support their efforts.

I do want to stress that HBIC will not become an exclusive Winnipeg NHL team blog. I like the other stuff surrounding the game too much, so I'll explore options as I move forward as to how to progress. As of right now, nothing will change on this blog, so you can continue to visit to listen to me or anyone else who wants to write rant and rave about whatever topic they like. If you want to write anything, please send me an email with your article, and I'll post it. Again, this blog is "of the people, by the people, for the people".

Welcome back, NHL. Here we go, Winnipeg. HBIC is glad to be onboard!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: