Wednesday 22 June 2016

Hunting For Books

I love reading in the summer. It's always a pleasure to sit out on the patio with a cold beverage where I can read a book in an afternoon. If there's a nice breeze, it makes for a glorious afternoon where I get lost in the words on the pages. I still have a few books at HBIC Headquarters that I need to read through and post reviews for, but I'll admit that I spend time in thrift shops and old bookstores hunting for a select few books that I'd love to add to my collection of hockey stories. While you can see the vast number of books I've had the pleasure in reviewing on the right, the list of books below are the ones that I still want to find and read at some point. Yes, my library card might even get a solid workout this summer if I can find and reserve the books online through my local library's website.

In no particular order, here is the list of books I haven't been able to find yet. I'm still hoping that I'll come across these stories at reasonable prices or for library borrowing costs - free is good! - but the list is extensive. If you've read any of these books, please give me a shout and let me know what the book was like. Or, better yet, send a review into HBIC and I'll post it!

In no particular order, here is "The List":
  • The Hockey Book by Bill Roche.
  • The Puck Starts Here by Garth Vaughan.
  • Hockey Night In Canada by Richard Gruneau and David Whitson.
  • Hockey's Captains, Colonels, and Kings by Bill Fitsell.
  • The Stick by Bruce Dowbiggin.
  • Rocket Richard by Andy O'Brien.
  • Looking Out For Number One by Dave Semenko.
  • The Hammer: Confessions of a Hockey Enforcer by Dave Schultz.
  • Net Worth by David Cruise and Alison Griffiths.
  • Zamboni Rodeo by Jason Cohen.
  • I Play to Win by Stan Mikita.
  • Hockey Dreams by David Adams Richards.
  • Breakaway by Charles Wilkins.
  • The Drubbing of Nesterenko by Hanford Woods.
  • The Good Body by Bill Gaston.
  • The Last Season by Roy MacGregor.
  • Hero of the Play by Richard Harrison.
  • My Career with the Leafs and Other Stories by Brian Fawcett.
  • Total Hockey by Dan Diamond.
  • Hockey Night in Dixie by Jon C. Stott.
  • The Hockey I Love by Vladislav Tretiak.
As you can see, there is a wide-range of topics on the list. There are autobiographies, biographies, and general writing about hockey. All of these books, however, interest me in one way or another for various reasons. For example, I would love to read The Hockey I Love by Tretiak simply to read how one of the greatest goaltenders in hockey history sees the game. I was enthralled with Tretiak's previous book (review coming soon!) so I really want to get another take on the game from the Soviet puck-stopper.

Am I missing any good hockey books that haven't been reviewed and deserve to be on the list? Throw me a line in the comments, and I'll add your suggestions to the list. Good hockey literature is always appreciated!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

1 comment:

Tapeleg said...

If you haven't read it already, Open Net by George Plimpton is a great read.

Zamboni Rodeo is hard to find. It's been out of print for a while. You can always ask @JasonCohen on twitter if he knows where any are stashed away. Good guy.