Monday 24 December 2018

Be Kind

It's Christmas eve, and there's very little hockey news to report on this day other than there is no hockey news to report. Yes, Canada is getting ready for the 2019 edition of the World Junior Championship while others are looking forward to the 2018 Spengler Cup, but tonight is a night where hockey really fades to the background as we prepare for a day of giving and sharing tomorrow. It's a day where family and friends mean more than the gifts one may receive, where generosity is often a highlight when it comes to selfless acts of giving, and where the "intangibles" of the season - health, happiness, and the goodwill towards others - are the most important gifts of the season.

Be thankful tomorrow. Show unwavering gratitude for everything you receive, but even more gratitude for having friends and family around you. Hug everyone. Tell them how important they are and how much they mean to you. It may seem like such a small thing, but, in today's day and age of text messages and social media, the personal touch of a heartfelt hug and message goes a lot further than you may think.

If there's one thing that I generally detest about social media, it's when people take to Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to display their material good that they received. I don't have any sort of influence to tell people not to do this, and you're certainly welcome to disagree with my feelings towards this display or materialism.

What I do appreciate is are the stories of giving, the stories of goodwill towards others, and seeing families - big and small - sharing dinner and smiles. In a lot of cases, we've allowed political differences, assumptions and biases, and general ignorance to separate us. Tomorrow is a day where we put those differences and beliefs aside to find harmony and common ground where we can share in happiness towards all.

I know that I sound like I may have already been imbibing, but I assure you that I'm of sound mind. I just get sick of watching the news and seeing wedges driving sensible people apart over things that seem crazy.

Be kind to one another today, tomorrow, and every day moving forward. It starts with family and friends, and can spiral outward from there. It starts with a heartfelt message and gratitude for one another, though, and that's the meaning of tomorrow. I'm not a religious or spiritual guy in any way, but I'll be here for hugs if you need one.

That's my gift to all in this holiday season.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: