Sunday 16 June 2019

I Endorse This Penalty

I'm never going to be named a commissioner for any hockey league. I'm aware of my limitations, and I'm ok with that. If you've listened to The Hockey Show when we have special guests on, we often ask our guests if they would change any rules in the event that the guest becomes a commissioner. Most have been good sports and suggested something that's in the news, but this weekend saw Hockey USA write a new rule into their rule book that I completely and fully endorse depending on the age of the players. Personally, having seen players at the collegiate level do what Hockey USA will now penalize teams for is a welcomed rule change after having witnessed said players act like they're in minor hockey.

Here is the new penalty that can be assessed by officials.
Some people will say that it's just a little fun to bang on the boards after a play or whatever, but it's honestly one of the most annoying things I find in the game. It's like fans that bang on the glass - that's not why the boards or glass are there, so stop hammering away on it. It serves absolutely no purpose other than to be your own cheerleading squad, and you're not cheerleaders if you're wearing skates.

Let me be clear: this isn't limited to women hockey players when I use the term "cheerleader". Men are just as guilty and, in some cases, are worse than women when it comes to whacking the boards with sticks, gloves, arms, or anything else they can use. I totally get cheering for a teammate if he or she does something spectacular, but routine plays in hockey certainly don't need twenty people on the bench carrying on like hooligans when a poke-check is successful or a pass is completed.

If I wore the stripes, I'd hand this penalty out in large quantities to teams and players above the age of eight. Once you hit the age of deciding whether this for fun or you want to play because you love it, you don't get to be a cheerleader on the bench any longer. Congratulate teammates as they come off the ice with a tap on the helmet or fist bumps or a tap on the shinpads, but banging on the boards like a pack of wild animals will get your penalty-killing units some additional time to work on their skills.

"But Teebz," you exclaim, "you've repeatedly said the game should be fun!" I have, and you're correct. However, acting like a feral animal on the bench isn't what makes the game fun. And players will claim that it fires them up and gets them going on the ice, but I'm here to tell you that's also false since the same effect could be achieved with general excitement on the bench without pounding on the boards. There's no good reason that one can deliver to me regarding hammering the boards in support of your teammates that will convince me otherwise. Take your two-minute break for shame in the sin bin.

The first official to hand out a penalty for this will be my new hero. Get at it, stripes!

Until next time, keep your sticks off the boards!

No comments: