Monday 1 July 2019

Canada Day

Maple syrup. Beaver tails. Universal healthcare. Snow. Ice. Igloos. Polar bears. There are lots of stereotypical Canadian images that one can choose, but 152 years ago saw this great country officially founded. It has changed over the years - borders have shifted, populations have moved and migrated, and cities and towns have been settled - but there's one thing that has remained constant: it's a pretty great place to live.

I know it's free agency day in the NHL, but I said my piece yesterday on free agency so to hell with me sitting in front of the TV today. I have things I want to do, and today seems like a great day to do them. The sun is shining brightly, it's warm-bordering-on-hot outside, there are cold beverages in the fridge, and there's a barbecue begging to be fired up. It sounds like a pretty good day.

I'll likely check in every now and then on the free agency goofiness, but I'm going to celebrate this great nation's founding by exercising one of its founding principles: freedom to choose. I choose to be outside rather than inside on a glorious day like today, so I'm shutting down HQ.

I'll be back tomorrow. Canadians, enjoy your day off as we celebrate the 152nd birthday of our country. Americans and international visitors, I apologize for enjoying the day off, but I'll be back tomorrow. Enjoy your days as well!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: