Saturday 19 September 2020

Wear The Alternate!

This jersey is affectionately known as the Mooterus jersey as worn as an alternate jersey by the Dallas Stars from 2003-06. While it was universally hated thanks to its logo looking like the reproductive tract of a woman, I happen to own one. Why, you ask? Because, as one Twitter friend said, "I hate hockey," but the bigger picture is that it fits my method of acquiring jerseys that other people hate. I have a handful: the NY Islanders' Fisherman, the Bruins' Pooh Bear, and the Gretzky-era Blues to name a few. The Mooterus, though, always brings out the hate from people who see it.

I proclaimed on Twitter once the Lightning had eliminated the Islanders that I would wear the Mooterus jersey until a winner was crowned in these playoffs. It's not that I don't like the Lightning, but I'm pulling for Rick Bowness who has waited forever to coach in a Stanley Cup Final as a head coach. It's also hard not to like a guy like Joel Hanley, who scored his first ever NHL Playoffs goal tonight, or a guy like Anton Khudobin who has been a good goalie for a while, but stuck behind other netminders in various cities.

With Dallas' win tonight over the Lightning, it was the first time in these playoffs that I had worn the Mooterus while watching a game, and that means the hideous Mooterus jersey is now 1-0 in these playoffs!

Granted, I had nothing to do with the win and me wearing a jersey in support of a team makes little difference in the world when you think rationally, but a win is a win is a win!

I will wear it on Monday for Game Two of the Stanley Cup Final, but I do expect a serious push from the Lightning who looked a little disoriented due to Dallas' speed and physicality. Let's hope the Mooterus' second appearance in these playoffs result in the same ending as its first appearance!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: