Saturday 5 August 2023

Don't Ever Fight Tie Domi In A Bar

If the guy to the left passed you on the street, I doube many people, including Canadians, would stop and talk to him. He's a pretty famous Canadian actor who also dabbles in music, but it's his work on television that most Canadians would recognize in a heartbeat as soon as he jumped into character. That man to the left is Mike Smith, and the character he plays on TV is none other than Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys! Smith is from New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and he's a long-time friend of Trailer Park Boys director Mike Clattenburg who saw him in his "Cart Boy" character while on the set of the television program. Clattenburg immediately saw the depth of Smith's character, and originally put him in an episode as a bit player. Fans loved Bubbles, though, and he quickly became one of the biggest breakout characters on Canadian TV!

I don't normally post videos on here unless they include some major highlight or historical moment, but I was scrolling aimlessly through Instagram today and someone had posted a small clip of Mike Smith appearing as Bubbles on Hockey Night in Canada. Listening to him tell his hockey stories had me in stitches - specifically, his story about fighting Tie Domi in a bar. I'm chuckling as I write this because of the story he told in that clip, but kudos to Smith because he IS Bubbles when he puts those spectacles on!

This clip of Bubbles telling his stories on Hockey Night in Canada is from the 2012 production of Hockey Day in Canada that CBC did. It aired on February 11, 2012 as CBC went out to Prince Edward Island for the day! Without further adieu, though, here's Mike Smith as Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys talking about everything he's seen, done, and liked about hockey. If you just want to see the part about Tie Domi that had me in stitches, scroll to 6:06!

It's hard not to miss great characters like Bubbles, but I'll give Smith credit for squeezing every last second out of that character. Most recently, people may have recognized Smith as Attorney McGurk in the Woody Harrelson film, Champions, but his work as Bubbles continues today in various spin-offs and projects involving the Trailer Park Boys. Bubbles may just live forever at this rate!

I had actually written about the clip above on HBIC back in August 2013, but I'll admit that I've come to appreciate this CBC segment a lot more after seeing it again today. Again, the part about Sean Avery and the story about fighting Tie Domi had me chuckling like I had never seen it before, but it seems pretty obvious that good comedy never goes out of style... even if that Cooper helmet did.

I needed a good laugh today. Bubbles' stories did the trick in putting me in a better mood than when I woke up, and it's bee keeping me chuckling throughout the day. If there's one thing we should do everyday, it's have a good laugh. If there's one thing everyone should avoid doing, don't ever fight Tie Domi in a bar.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: