Friday, 9 October 2026

HBIC's New Direction

As we got closer to the number shown in the picture to the left, it's hard to believe that I've written this many articles here on HBIC. I often wonder how I've attracted 22 million hits on this page, but it seems like I've written a few articles that were read by people on this planet and that's not lost on me as I write this final daily entry. I'm one of the few independent bloggers who is still writing on a daily basis, but all good things do come to an end. HBIC will persist, but it will exist in a new format beyond today.

Blocking off free time to commit to writing HBIC was something that I always tried to do, and I'm grateful that people took the time to read the articles Ive written to an extent that I cannot say "thank you" enough. I'm not here to do a top-ten list or anything, but I'm proud of the research and collaboration that went into articles like "Where The Shirts Have No Names", "Benny, Mick E., and Icy?", and other articles where good people like Rob Ullman and Fiona Quinn have given me story ideas. Not everything comes from this writer's noggin.

I certainly haven't avoided trouble when it came to what I wrote as I was threatened by a handful of organizations with some sort of legal action for what I wrote, but, thankfully, cooler heads prevailed and the threat of lawsuits remained as threats. The University of Lethbridge was none too pleased about my "Extinction Of The Pronghorns" article nor the "Hiding The Real Message" follow-up article, but they seemed to get over their anger. There were things said during negotations between the Manitoba Bisons and UMFM that ended a partnership in "The Art Of Negotiation?", and The Hockey Show and UMFM were threatened with a lawsuit if we reported about a major incident that happened on campus that we investigated.

Speaking of The Hockey Show, that will continue and I'll still post show previews here on HBIC as we push forward with some fun radio opportunities. Teebz's Book Club will take advantage of having more time when it comes to reading hockey literature, and there are a ton of books that I want to cross off the "To Read" list. More than anything, though, I want to get out to rinks more often and watch hockey. I honestly don't care if it's TimBits hockey or NHL hockey, live hockey is certainly better when one is watching in the arena.

On that note, expect us to have a lot of fun calling games at the Female World Sport School Challenge this November, we'll get out to call a handful of sledge hockey games alongside the great people from Sledge Hockey Manitoba, and we'll work with the Balmoral Hall Blazers to schedule a few broadcasts of their games as well. We're always looking for fun games and events to call, so feel free to reach out if you want UMFM at your event! We'll try to make it happen!

I want to be clear: HBIC isn't going away. There just won't be daily posts any longer. I'll still have a voice on here when it comes to covering big stories, looking at hockey history, and posting fun articles like "Musicians in Jerseys", but I want to use my time more effectively for me. Besides, there are 7000 articles on this site, and I don't know if anyone has read them all. For all the ones you have read, though, thank you. You made the last two decades worth it.

This isn't good-bye as much as it is "see you soon". Whenever that is.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: