Tuesday 24 July 2007

New And Improved?

I have been critical of teams who have undergone changes to their jerseys. I have been critical of teams who change things just to make themselves "better". I've been critical of teams who have renamed themselves or changed their logos. I hate to say this, but here we go again. The San Jose Sharks, in designing their new Rbk Edge uniforms, decided that they needed to "update" their logos. I'm not against a minor tweak or a small change on a logo to modernize it. However, the Sharks have introduced a new colour into their colour scheme, and three-dimensionalized their famous shark logo.

Initially, I had no problem with the update of this logo. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the Sharks' brand is being re-designed as an entity.

According to the Sharks' press release, "[t]he new San Jose Sharks Primary Crest, joined by eight supporting marks, is both a re-imagination and a tribute to the original triangle logo used since the team’s inception in 1991. The updated crest incorporates more Pacific Teal, the primary color of the Sharks, and emphasizes speed, strength and determination. [Terry] Smith, the designer of the original Sharks logo, created the new marks over an 18-month period in conjunction with Sharks players and front office.

"The debut of the re-designed, more intimidating logo coincides with the launch of the new Rbk EDGE Uniform System, which the NHL has made the League standard beginning in the 2007-08 season. The Sharks new sweater will be unveiled in September."

So what changes were made?

The primary logo changed from this to this.

The alternate fin logo changed from this to this.

The original San Jose Sharks logo and wordmarks went from this to this.

The Sharks' wordmarks went from this and this to this, this, this, this, and this.

They also introduced a shield logo, a full logo, and the Shark minus the triangle.

My thoughts? I liked the old logo. Despite its obvious simplicity, there was something endearing about it. The "re-designed, more intimidating logo" is alright, but I'm not completely sold on it. If it is the bee's knees for the Sharks' franchise, why didn't they introduce this one in 1991 instead of the old logo? Did it take them 17 years to come up with this idea? And why are they introducing burnt orange into their colour scheme?

As of right now, I'm not sold. I want to see the new jerseys with the "the re-designed, more intimidating logo" on it. Perhaps it will look better then, but I have my doubts at this point.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

5 comments:

The Dark Ranger said...

If you move the new logo 30 degrees to the right, you get....Batman.

http://www.holgermetzger.de/batman.jpg

tdr

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or does the new fin logo remind anyone of the uniforms circa mid-nineties. It looks to me to be very similar to the secondary lighthouse logo.

Dear Lord Stanley said...

I'm not completely sold on the new look either. Like you said, we'll need to wait for the full uniforms before we start throwing things.

Just one question, though; are they trying to become a soccer team with that shield crest?

Anonymous said...

I like the new logo for the sharks. I think it gives the shark more of a personality. it just looks better.

Anonymous said...

do you see the SJ on the fins of the new one