Wednesday 16 January 2008

I Didn't Score 106 Points

I'll admit it: I wasn't the best blogger in my first year of existance. I didn't score 52 goals like the man to the left, nor did I add 54 assists. Heck, I didn't even finish in the Top 10 in scoring last season. However, I've decided that since January 21 is the anniversary of starting Hockey Blog In Canada, I only have you, the readers aka the fans, to thank. You guys have made this first year very enjoyable. The comments left by readers have been insightful and helpful. The people who have contacted me via email have been respectful and polite while expressing their thoughts. Basically, you guys have made my first year of scrawling my thoughts onto a virutal notepad a pleasure, and it's time I reward you for your dedication to my insanity.

There will be a contest. Not some cheesy trivia contest or Internet scavenger hunt, either. No, this contest will require you to think and analyze. It wil require you to organize your thoughts in a meaningful manner. It may require a little research and effort. It will most certainly require you to tackle a challenge.

It will be an essay contest, like a "skills competition" for you, the fans.

Now before you scoff and click off this page muttering about crappy high school essay writing, let me tell you that will have a choice. There will be three options for your essay question. These questions will have some fun associated with them, and they will require some thought from you if you decide to participate.

So where's the hook, you ask? How can I get you to participate in a dumb essay contest? Why would I complete a monotonous task? What's in it for me, you ask?

Prizes. Nothing like a little schwag for those that tackle this endeavour.

What's that? You want to know what kind of schwag? What's with all the questions?

I'm going to spend my hard-earned dollars from my normal, everyday job on you guys. I don't make any money off this blog, and I'm not looking to sell out. However, I haven't been approached by any advertisers looking to add some cashflow to my pockets, so I'll dip into my own savings as a way to say thanks to you guys.

T-shirts will be available. An assortment of hockey memorabilia will also be made available: things like keychains, ornaments, and McFarlane hockey action figures for example. If it deals with hockey, I'll consider it.

How do I win, you ask? First, you have to participate in the contest. Each essay question will be eligible for its own "top prize". All you need to do is select which question you want to tackle, and start writing. If you want to enter multiple times, you can. I have no problem with this.

Secondly, once you're finished selected your essay question, type it up on MICROSOFT WORD or a comparable .doc format. For you Apple users, if you don't have a .doc formatting program, there are free shareware programs out there. EMAIL IT TO ME, and you're entered.

Once you're entered, you're eligible for the prizes. What may garner you more attention is that the top essay for each question will be posted on this blog. You'll get your name in lights, figuratively-speaking, for the work you did. If you have been selected by me, the panel of judges, for a prize, I will contact you via email to discuss the prizes.

Are you up for the challenge? January 21st will be the One Year Anniversary mark, and that's when the contest will go live. If you want to participate, make sure you check out this blog on that day.

Who knows? You might win some free schwag and show off your writing skills while talking about hockey. The best part is that you don't have to operate a blog or even be a regular reader. All you need to do is write.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Uh oh, I'm not a great writer, but I did write a good enough essay to get into college, so maybe I can do this. I look forward to your challenge, Teebz, since Lord knows I can't resist a challenge.

Happy Anniversary!

Connie said...

Bring it on.