Tuesday 8 July 2008

Day Off Recovery

I decided to take a day off yesterday as I was extremely busy at work and had a pile of work to do at home as well. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made, and, while I hate not writing, I needed some time away from the computer to get other stuff done. Now, I know you really didn't miss me that much. I mean, there are a ton of blogs about hockey out there, and that's ok. In case you missed it, I'll give you a hand in discovering some of these blogs as we do a little blog-walking today. Check out some of these blogs, and get caught up with what's been happening while I've been away.

A View From The Cheap Seats has a brand-new layout, and I have to give this new look a major thumbs-up. It's clean and simple, and I like the new look a lot. The Cheap Seater, aka CapsChick, is running down the Top 64 Reasons She Loves Hockey, and it's definitely worth a read. And in case you missed it, I love the look of her blog. Can't say it enough.

Barry Melrose Rocks has an entertaining article about Honoring The NHL 94 Survivors. I have this game, and it's scary to think that it has been 14 years since I first started playing this game. In the article, Kevin goes through the 43 players still playing in the NHL while providing some great commentary, yet I'm still getting over the fact that it was 14 years ago. Anyway, check it out and have a laugh at those who have survived the last 14 years.

Over at Going Five Hole, Sean Leahy has officially started the Matt Cooke Fan Club, aka "the Cooke-y Monsters". Personally, Matt Cooke was a great signing to replace Jarkko Ruutu, and will definitely provide some better scoring than what Ruutu did. Yes, Pittsburgh will miss Ruutu's yapping, but Cooke has all the tools to make up for Ruutu plus more. Follow Sean's lead, and join the Cooke-y Monster Club!

While there's been no update since April 7, 2008, Ben Lovejoy was signed by the Penguins, so hopefully he'll keep his blog, known as Hockey Guy, going. Lovejoy had some hilarious articles, and I look forward to hearing more tales from inside the hockey world if he keeps writing. Ben, for the love of joy, keep the blog going!

Amy from My Tribe wants to remind Blackhawks' GM Dale Tallon why signing Matt Walker was a bad idea. Let's see here... he's a fighter? Check. He's scored once in five seasons? Check. He's scored 11 points in 175 NHL games? Check. Oh yeah! He's from the hated St. Louis Blues! Funny post. Made me laugh.

Sarah from Neutral Zone Trap has been checking out the Columbus Blue Jackets' development camp, and reports on Day One and Day Two. I'm looking forward to seeing Jakub Voracek play in the NHL next year after watching him score like it was going out of style with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. Seeing him in a Blue Jackets jersey next year would be nice. If not, I'll watch him when the AHL's Syracuse Crunch visit town.

While Sherry prepares for her move across the pond to Manchester, England, Dany Heatley Speedwagon is holding the fort at Scarlett Ice. Today, he talks a little about the Jason Smith signing, and he seems to like it. I will admit that at $2.6 million, I'd take Smith at that price. He and Volchenkov will be a formidable shot-blocking pair, and their tenacity will be the strength on the Senators' blueline.

Mer from Set Out Your Staal goes on a little rant today about Marian Hossa before discussing why the Redden signing in New York will help Marc Staal. Mer also touches on the other Staal kids, and talks about Jordan's increasing role with Pittsburgh now that Malone is gone. Great blog, especially if you're interested in anything to do with the Staal family.

The guys over at The Pensblog are excited about Pittsburgh's signing of Finnish hockey star Janne Pesonen. They've already started the "Adventures of Puck Finn" campaign, possibly to replace the WWGRD campaign now that he toils for some team in the Caribbean. Personally, this entire blog will give you a chuckle or three, so read through it and have a laugh.

Caitlin from Untypical Girls is absolutely disgusted with Dallas' signing of Sean Avery. Her exact words: "Did I almost have an aneurysm? Probably. Did my blood pressure skyrocket to seriously unhealthy levels? Definitely." Personally, I'm not that impressed with the Avery signing either, and I had said that a few days ago. However, to hear it directly from a Stars' fan gives you a whole new appreciation on just how much Sean Avery is abhorred.

Greg Wyshynski from Puck Daddy on Yahoo! Sports calls out a New York Post movie critic after the critic "managed to disparage hockey fans, hockey teams, hockey games, hockey stats, hockey cities, all of Canada, most Canadian beer, Richard Zednik's injury (classy), U.N. efforts in Darfur (mucho classy) and, most amazingly, the fact that the Miracle on Ice was tape-delayed during the 1980 Winter Olympics". If you'd like to read the rather ignorant article from the movie critic, you can get it off Greg's article. I'm not going to post his crap on this site. Readers bombed the critic, whose name is Kyle Smith, with emails after "he eloquently painted us as idiots who 'would probably be equally entertained by an evening spent at home holding a Bic lighter up to their own bursts of flatulence'". Mr. Smith, I only have one piece of advice for you: shut up. Of course, he never responded to Greg's request for an interview, probably because he's still trying to pull his head from his rear end. Jackass.

Ok, so that's a little of the hockey world that I've not been watching over the last 24 hours. Check out those sites, and make sure you stop by as many blogs as you can. All the writers on the blogroll to the right are fabulous.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: