Friday 16 January 2009

Photos And Trivia

My days and hours are beginning to blur together as I barely have enough time to do anything. I have approximately 20 minutes to churn out a quality post, and that's just not going to happen. I mean, I can write fast, but the research that goes into a quality post doesn't just happen in seconds. Much like the posts to the left, this entry will be a straight-up look at some photos. I'll post some history as well because I'm a hockey history buff, so get prepared for some of that as well. All in all, a quick post on a night where I have no time.

  • When you consider the ability that Wayne Gretzky had, it's hard to believe he wasn't better on penalty shots. In his entire career, Gretzky only scored on two penalty shots that he took. His only regular-season penalty-shot goal came on January 13, 1983 against Vancouver's Richard Brodeur. His only playoff penalty-shot goal came on April 28, 1984 against Washington's Don Beaupre. I was shocked at this, to say the least.
  • Anyone here know who was the last player to suit up as #1 who was not a goaltender? If you do, you're probably about 90 years-old. Babe Siebart of the Montreal Canadiens wore #1 from 1936-1939. Since then, no other player has worn #1 aside from goaltenders. Just for fun, I want to see someone break this trend.
  • If you're Brian Elliott, you have to feel pretty good about yourself. Elliott was the 291st player selected in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft by the Ottawa Senators. When you're being picked at 291st overall, there's a glimmer of hope that you'll make the NHL. However, as Elliott has proved this week, he's not only a capable NHL goaltender, he's a fairly good player. Elliott is the lowest draft pick to ever have made it to the NHL, and he was joined by another 291st overall player this season as Detroit's Jonathan Ericsson suited up as well. Ericsson was drafted in 2002 by the Red Wings.
  • If anyone can tell me what the story is behind this picture of John Vanbiesbrouck and Mike Richter sharing a jersey, I'm all ears. That jersey is ridiculously huge.
  • Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Lorne Chabot was a very good goalie in the 1930s. He was a star with the Toronto Maple Leafs, but he did something no one else had done on February 11, 1935 up to that point after being moved to Chicago. Chabot was the first hockey player to appear on the cover of Time Magazine. That's a pretty cool distinction.
  • Speaking of Chicago, I found a fabulous commercial for the Blackhawks as I was looking for another commercial on YouTube today. Jeremy Piven, famous for his role in the television show Entourage, appeared in a commercial for the Blackhawks. Check it out.


  • It's photos like these that absolutely blow me away. The NHL's Frozen Moments are spectacular pieces of art, and this image of Kris Draper heading onto a freshly laid sheet of ice gives me chills.
  • I picked up The Hockey News' A Century of Montreal Canadiens special edition, and this magazine is a phenomenal look at the Canadiens. The thing that caught my attention? There are still 15 numbers in Montreal Canadiens' history that have not been worn by any player. This doesn't include #0 or #00 since no player can wear that number any longer. The numbers are 50, 58, 67, 68, 69, 72, 80, 85, 87, 89, 91, 92, 96, 97, and 98. In case you're wondering, #99 has been worn by three Canadiens: Joe Lamb, Desse Roche, and Leo Bourgault in 1934-35. Apparently, players on tryouts with the Canadiens were assigned #99 during the 1934-35 season.
Ok, I'm already late, so I have to scram. I'm going to take in Clint Eastwood's new movie, Gran Torino, this evening, and I'm supposed to meet people in about 20 minutes. More to come this weekend, including an announcement of which I am very proud to be a part. I'll fill you in tomorrow.

Until then, keep your sticks on the ice!

2 comments:

Number31 said...

Time to add the rookies to that Hockey News list ;)
67 - Max Pacioretty (best number)
68 - Yannick Weber
80 - Ben Maxwell
And Mathieu Carle has 72 on reserve but the poor guy unfortunately has the bad luck of always getting knocked out in preseason...

Anonymous said...

Found your site looking for that picture of Richter and Beezer. That picture I believe was from Sports Illustrated in 1990 when Richter and Vanbiesbrouck alternated every other start for most of the season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1136104/index.htm