Saturday 22 October 2011

A November Preview

While it seems early to start talking about November, I wanted to bring to light something that I think could help you prepare for December. Yeah, I know... it's not even November, and I'm talking about December. But I'm sure this will help you as a I commit to something in November that could make your Christmas shopping a little easier for your hockey-loving son or daughter. After all, time has seeming flew this year, and I know I've been guilty of falling behind a few times on this blog. Today, I have about a million things I want to accomplish, so that means there's little time for in-depth, pithy blogs on hockey. The good news is that I'm going to do my best to help you find some great stuff for your little hockey superstar.

"I Love To Read" month comes up in February around these parts, but thanks to a great package I received from Scholastic Canada, there will be lots of books for kids and adolescents posted in the month of November. That means that you can hit your local bookstore to find these books for your kids and teens if they are looking for something hockey-related to read. If you can't find them locally, I'd be more than happy to help with your Christmas shopping.

The best part of this endeavour is that I'm proud to see kids reading. Even if it isn't a hockey-themed story, reading is important and should always be encouraged. While TV and video games play a role in one's life, reading is something that should always be encouraged as an excellent form of entertainment for kids and adults alike.

I'll be honest: I've read the entire Lemony Snickets' A Series of Unfortunate Events series. It was excellent, and I'm an adult! It wasn't hockey-related in any way, and I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I also spent some time this year reading the literary version of The Bourne Identity, and I can tell you that the Matt Damon movie is entirely different from the Robert Ludlum story. Would I have known that if I had only seen the movie? Absolutely not. But the book was excellent, and my imagination ran wild as Bourne's adventure unfolded. Reading, though, is the key as I found myself enveloped in these stories!

November is HBIC Reading Month for kids, and I'm proud to feature a number of Scholastic Canada books in this month. I'll feature at least one per week and another on the weekend, so make sure you tune in often to check out the great books for young readers!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: