Sunday 10 December 2017

These Bars Are From Mars

I have to admit that I'm not much of a candy guy. In saying this, I had a large amount of the fun-sized Mars Bars kicking around in a box sitting atop my fridge from Halloween for which I simply had no use. The "best before" date was approaching, and I'm not one to waste money or food by throwing something out when there's absolutely nothing wrong with said food. In not being a candy guy, though, I needed a recipe for these Mars Bars to turn them from their bite-sized chocolate pieces into something else. I think I may have found a recipe that almost anyone can use!

This recipe comes from Genius Kitchen so I can't take credit for coming up with it, but kudos to whomever did because it's fast, easy, and there's almost no ingredients in turning these Mars Bars into Rice Krispie squares!

Ingredients

4 regular-sized Mars Bars or 20 fun-sized Mars Bars
1/2 cup of butter
3 cups of Rice Krispies
1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)

That might be one of the easiest list of ingredients to assemble! So let's get to making these Rice Krispie squares!

Directions

Melt the butter and Mars Bars over medium-low heat in a large saucepan until smooth for about ten minutes. Make sure you stir often in order not to burn the chocolate or caramel! Remove from the heat once the mixture is smooth, and stir in the Rice Krispies and chopped nuts (f included). While the recipe recommends pressing it into a greased pan, I opted not to use a greased pan as it seemed there was ample moisture in the Rice Krispie mixture. I'll let you decide on how you want to navigate this step.

If you're using the chocolate chips, top the pan of Rice Krispie mix with the chocolate chips and place under a broiler for thirty seconds until the chips melt. Remove from the pan from oven and spread the chocolate evenly over squares. In my photo below, you'll see I opted not to go with the chocolate topping. Place the pan in the fridge in order to have the chocolate harden in the mixture and, if applicable, atop the mixture. Serve when ready.

And the end result?
They taste like Mars Bars, but have the texture of a Rice Krispie square! Ok, that seems like a Captain Obvious statement, but they're like a crispy Mars Bar! They taste so good - as seen in the missing row of Rice Krispie squares - and they came out of the pan quite nicely without the added grease. Overall, I'll definitely make these again!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: