Tuesday 29 October 2019

Your Search Function Is Broken

Occasionally, I'll use an aggregate service when I'm looking for old or funny stories on hockey. It doesn't happen often, but if I need a chuckle or want to find something crazy, I usually hit the Digg website. Digg aggregates all sorts of stories from across the internet and social media for visitors to read, so there's likely something on there for everyone. I know there were a couple of hockey stories over the last two weeks - Andrei Svechnikov's lacrosse-style goal and Sonny Milano's between-the-legs goal - that were on the site, but I wanted to find something a little less prominent. That's where the search function on Digg would help.

I went to search Digg today for something hockey-related, and the search returned everything but hockey. Here are my search results from just the first page of what Digg returned to me.

Remember, in the last two weeks, there were two hockey stories posted. Neither were at the top of this search that I performed, and the word "hockey" didn't appear in any of the returned stories until I loaded more stories twice. In fact, I expanded the search to within one month, and the word "hockey" was seen just once on the Sonny Milano goal article that was posted.

Just for fun, the other words that the search returned were:
  • hacked/hacker (7 times)
  • shocked/shocker (8)
  • locked/locker (6)
  • pocket (6)
  • rocked/rocky (3)
  • mocked (2)
  • rocket (2)
All of the words "jockey", "hooked", "donkey", "sockeye", "rocker", "monkey", "Mickey", and "socket" occurred once in the search results - the same number as the exact word "hockey" did! Being a search engine guru, I even used the old quotations marks around the word to see if it would match exact instances, but the search results all came back identical to the search results without the quotation marks. I'm no webpage designer, but something is seriously wrong with Digg's search function.

In any case, if you needed to find something on Digg that was posted in the last few weeks, good luck. It will eventually be in your returned search results, but you may have to DIGG through a ton of crap to find what you actually need.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: