Friday 20 December 2019

Problems Behind The Scenes

If you've been on HBIC the last couple of days, you likely have noticed that there are images missing. My previous hosting service, who I shall not mention, has decided that I've exceeded the either the bandwidth or the total number of images held on my account, and has effectively suspended my account. While I loathe their service for how terrible and slow their website is, the situation only got worse when they began preventing direct links to be posted to images while still taking my money and telling me that they were "looking into the issue". Needless to say, my patience has run out with this company and their Geocities-like website, so it's time to move on. Get bent, image-hosting company.

With that being said, I have begun the tedious process of moving all the important photos to a new hosting site. What this means is that there likely will be a ton of broken links on old articles because I simply don't have the time to re-link all the photos from the new site. Does this suck? You bet your bottom dollar it does, but this is what happens when a site moves from being user-friendly to being complete doorknobs. As of right now, I'm going through the collection of photos on Team Doorknobs' site and saving only those that seem vitally important to this blog.

Here's where you come in: if you find a link that's broken and you want to see that picture, please let me know via email and I'll do my best to replace it. Again, I admit that this sucks and the vast majority of you won't let me know, and that's fine. I'm willing to live with the consequences of making this decision. I have figured out how to strip all the photos off my account, so the photos will be retained and I can use them again or link them up again if you send me the info.

I can't lie about how much time it has taken to download a stack of these images already. This is going to be something that chaps my rear end for some time regarding how much time this has cost me because some moron at the offices of DoorKnob, Incorporated decided to impose some idiocy. This is definitely one of the more painful issues I've experienced in the decade-plus of running this blog, but you live and you learn.

At least I have all the menu items and the blog banner fixed.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: