Sunday 5 April 2020

Learning New Skills In April

Imagine this is how you had to watch hockey games for most of your life. For photographers at hockey games, this is life for them as they peer through the hole in the plexiglass trying to capture amazing moments in the sport we love to watch. It takes some real skill to be able to do what they do, and I'm never going to pretend that I can do anything like that. After all, they've made a significant investment in a camera, lenses, and training, and it's a job to them. Me? I'm lucky if I get the lens cap off.

That being said, I'm sure there are a number of us, me included, who have a DLSR camera in their possession who want to be able to use it more effectively, take better pictures, and generally get a better return on the money spent on one of these amazing devices. I know there are times when I'm wondering how to do something, and flipping through the 700-page manual when trying to learn how to make something work isn't always the best way to gain that knowledge.

To help you maximize your photography skills and get better pictures, I used my internet sleuthing skills to discover that Nikon is offering free, online photography courses all month long! These courses usually cost somewhere between $15 to $50, so it would be a good idea to break out that camera this month and squeeze in some learning. The best part is that the majority of the courses don't require you to own a Nikon camera, so don't feel like you're missing out. I, for one, don't have a Nikon camera, and I've watched two of the classes while playing around with my DSLR camera.

While you won't become a professional sports photographer after completing the courses, you will be able to take better photos and utilize your camera better. If there is one catch to the classes, you will need to sign up before you can view the classes, but I encourage you to opt out of receiving marketing emails because no one likes junk mail when we're simply trying to make ourselves better in these trying times.

Enjoy the classes. Take better photos. Be safe. Stay home. Beat the virus. Sounds like a solid plan for the spring season!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: