Sunday 24 December 2023

The Day Before

I don't have a fireplace, so I can't spend the day sitting in front of it. I'm not sure it would even be worth it today with the temperatures hovering around the freezing point, so adding some warmth to the house probably wouldn't be the best of ideas I've had. I also admit that I'll be busy doing a pile of stuff today to prepare for tomorrow's festivities, so putting my feet up in front of a virtual fireplace won't be an option until later in the evening.

I do want wish all those celebrating Christmas a very merry day, and I hope you're safe, sound, happy, and healthy whether you do or don't celebrate the holiday. Make sure you call family today to wish them a Merry Christmas if you can't be with them, and reach out to friends and let them know how important they are to you. After all, friends and family make the days better throughout the rest of the year, so be sure to show your appreciation today and tomorrow!

HBIC is closed today so I can indulge in the holiday. I try not to take too many days off the hockey chatter here on HBIC, but spending time with family and making sure they have an incredible Christmas is important to me. Outside of the few things I need to do, one of the annual traditions in which I'll partake is watching the 1983 Disney film Mickey's Christmas Carol. I can't remember a Christmas where I didn't watch this movie at some point, but I've been making it a Christmas Eve tradition for some time now. For those unaware, the film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1984! Count me in for a good movie!

I'll likely watch it with Meg, my cat, sitting beside me, and I'm sure I'll have a glass of the homemade Irish Cream that I make every year on the coffee table in front of me. It's a good way to wind down in the evening before the big day, but the lessons shown in animation aren't lost on me when it comes to Dickens' 1843 story on which the movie is based. I'm the last person who should be makign rules for others to follow, but I believe that the Disney story should be shown on TV every year. But that's just my opinion.

In any case, enjoy the final day before the big day. HBIC will also be closed tomorrow, but we'll reconvene on Tuesday when the World Junior Championship gets underway bright and early as Canada and Finland tangle at 8:30am ET. Of course, the Spengler Cup kicks off at 9am ET with Canada playing at 2pm ET against Frölunda HC, so there's hockey legitimately on TV all day on Boxing Day!

Before I let you go, though, here's the rendition of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas that always makes me chuckle no matter how many times I watch it. John Malkovich's delivery is so good!


And, of course, you can't go to bed without something sweet. This skit cracks me up no matter how many times I watch it!


We'll see you on the 26th for hockey with coffee and breakfast!

Until next time, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

No comments: