Thursday 1 September 2011

I'll Miss Him

If bad news comes in threes, let's hope this is the last story we hear of the passing of a young NHL player for a long time. Wade Belak, age 35, was found dead on Wednesday night, and I'm going to miss the big smile he always brought to the rink.

The outspoken player and amateur comedian was a loving father and husband who always seemed to wear a smile on his face where ever he was. For a man who seemed to enjoy life as a somewhat-recognizable athlete, it's difficult to imagine what may have triggered his suicide. I do know this: I'll miss the big guy for his pull-no-punches comments like this one.

Rest in peace, Wade. The world lost a great man, and my heartfelt condolences go out to the Belak family for their loss. The angelic Hockey Gods received another outstanding man yesterday, and their gain is truly our loss.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: