Monday 5 September 2011

Lack Of Labour Day

Today is a day of rest on the HBIC front simply because it is Labour Day in Canada. You've probably noticed that the blog is a little behind, and I won't deny that I've been ridiculously busy. Between umpiring and working and maintaining a relationship with a gal who tolerates how busy I am outside of her, this blog gets pushed down the list because I tend to write fairly easily once I start. The story of Labour Day in Canada goes back to December of 1872 when "a parade was staged in support of the Toronto Typographical Union's strike for a 58-hour work-week". Most of my weeks feel like I'm pushing 60 hours of commitments and time requirements, so I'm being honest when I say that I neglect this place quite often. Hopefully it will stop once some things in my life start settling down, but here we are today.

In honour of the NHLPA today and the recent losses that its fraternity suffered, I think it's a good idea to remember how many players will miss the three men that are no longer with us. Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, and Wade Belak were valued members of the NHLPA, and the Union's members have lost too many good people this summer. Let's give a moment of our time to remember the three men who entertained us so thoroughly before their times were cut short.

On the upside, the NHL season is getting closer and closer as various teams send their prospects off to rookie tournaments. The NHLPA's members are getting some great young talent added to their ranks, and it won't be long until we're being dazzled by these men as well.

Here's looking forward to the new season!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: