Tuesday 25 September 2012

A Break From The Game

I've been thinking a lot about the lockout and how it will affect the fans. There's no real winner and loser in terms of defining what winning and losing is if the fans don't come back to the game at the same level at which they left. If the $3.3 billion in hockey revenue isn't achieved again, isn't the overall effect a loss for everyone? But in saying this, there's one thing that all fans can agree on whether seeing a game in person or on the TV. Good food and good beverages make all the difference on how memorable a game can be.

I'm not a food expert by any means, but I love me some good food. I enjoy making and baking delectable creations, and I think that it means a lot when you make something from scratch that garners a lot of positive comments from those that eat it. I love barbecuing, I enjoy baking from scratch, and I happen to enjoy making good hockey food such as nachos, burgers, flavored popcorn, french fries, and onion rings.

In saying this, though, there's something that each and every fan has to have at a specific arena or stadium when they visit. Be it a Fenway Frank, garlic fries, or a mini-helmet sundae, there's something specific at each venue to make the experience all the better thanks to the offering at the concession stands.

If there's one thing that I've fallen in love with at local rinks, it's "taco in a bag". Other people I have run into call them "walking tacos". In either case, my taste buds are already tingling. Honestly, I'm a sucker for cheesy and spicy tacos anyway, but the addition of Doritos is absolute genius.
Just looking at that picture has my mouth watering already! It seems to be gaining popularity in rinks across my province in terms of being offered, and it's honestly one of the best things I've discovered at a rink. Sure, it might be a bazillion calories, but you gotta sacrifice when you're eating something so good!

Therefore, I want to know what you always spring for when you're at a hockey game. And don't just give me the generic "beer and hot dog" answer. I want to know specifics. Like buying an authentic Philly Cheese Steak at Wells Fargo Arena and having it smothered in cheese and grilled mushrooms - I want to know all the greasy details. What gets your appetite going when you walk into an arena?

Leave all the finger-licking details in the comments! For some additional taco-in-a-bag recipes for those who like to create at home, here are a few - Food.com's version and here's Betty Crocker's version. Easy to make, quick clean-up, and a delicious way to enjoy some junk food!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

4 comments:

Robert Ullman said...

There's local burger joint in Pittsburgh called Burgatory, and they have a small satellite location at the Consol Energy Center. Their Steakhouse burger, while a little pricier than I usually spring for at games at $10+, is hands-down the best thing I've ever tasted at a sports arena. And big enough that it's, y'know, a MEAL, and not just a stopgap to tide you over til later.

Teebz said...

Nice, Rob! That's a little pricey, but if it's as good as you say, I might have to splurge if I ever get to Pittsburgh! :o)

TedNes said...

One of the best "food at a rink" experiences I ever had was at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, taking in a Devils/Thrashers game a few years ago.

From what I can remember being available; Pulled pork, Sausage with biscuit and gravy, and even corn on the cob, but with brown sugar rubbed on it. Beers were a reasonable $3.

These days, I try to stay away from rink food, even when at Leafs, Wings, and Sabres games for the evening. Haven't been to a Buffalo home game in 2 years now, but I do remember the Anchor Grill (home of THE original Buffalo wing) selling them at Sabres games.

Taco in a bag huh?-----never heard of it. But looking at it, I am all over it!----Thanks!

Teebz said...

Use one of those recipes, TedNes, and you won't go wrong. It's so good, especially if it's cheesy!

If I get a chance, I'd love to hit up Anchor Grill or grab a pork sammich in Hot-lanta! Might be a destination!