Thursday 28 November 2013

The Hockey Show - Episode Sixty-Four

The Hockey Show is back tonight after I successfully completed my south-of-the-border run to complete and finish off all my holiday shopping. Yes, you're reading that right. It's not even December and there is at least one male in Canada who will not be Christmas shopping in December because he's already done. I'm not saying that this should be expected of me in all situations, but I really wanted a stress-free, CROWD-FREE December this year, and I may actually get it. Sure, there will still be crowds out during my adventures in the Great White North, but I won't have to battle them at the checkout lines. Why? Because I'm done!

We're back with our normal format tonight as we'll talk about the Jets and their last couple of weeks including their wins in New Jersey and on Long Island in their last two games. We'll discuss the return of Jacob Trouba and why I believe he's a better choice for Team USA than both Dustin Byfuglien and Zach Bogosian on the blue line. We'll run through the Russian Roundup as there's some news on Sergei Fedorov that we need to update. We'll talk about the University of Manitoba Bisons and how they're doing as they play their last weekend this weekend before exams and their traditional holiday break. And we'll even touch upon Miss Jill Shackner's rendition of the Canadian national anthem that she pulled off last night.

If you missed it, the video is below. Miss Shackner, who turns 24 today (Happy Birthday!), took out a few key words in the anthem and replaced them with a line from America the Beautiful and then added her own ending onto the song.
In Miss Shackner's defence, there have certainly been worse renditions than what she did. And TSN did spell her name wrong, so I suppose one could say that she was righting a wrong with another wrong. You mess my name up, and I'll mess your anthem up, right?

But the thing is that the anthem lyrics were on the scoreboard! All she had to do was look up!
Oh, not good. But Jill jumped on Twitter quickly to apologize for her anthem miscue. Kudos for her in trying to right a wrong.
If you know Canadians, we're not going to hold a grudge over this. You're good, Jill. Just get those lyrics down!

Join us tonight on The Hockey Show on 101.5 UMFM at 5:30pm tonight for all of our regular chatter as we take apart the hockey world in our own way. Beans will be there, Columbus will be back, and I'll be running the show once more. It'll be fun, we'll have a laugh, and we'll break down the hockey world in sixty minutes!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: