Wednesday 13 November 2013

Winter Fauxlympics?

I know it's hard to believe, but I haven't been credentialed as an official media member of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games yet. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not going to Sochi in February, but I still think that the offer would have been nice. In any case, I was thinking that I need something fun to do while the Olympics are going on that involves some of the great photography that comes out the Olympic Games. You've probably seen a lot of excellent photos, but sometimes I think that while a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe those words would change dramatically if there was a fake headline posted with the image.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the challenge. I'm going to have some fun with this, so tell your friends, family, co-workers, neighbours, colleagues, acquaintances, Facebook friends, and Twitter people that HBIC is looking for some fake reporters with a knack for faux reporting. We're getting ready for the...

2014 Sochi Winter Fauxlympics

So what is this, you ask? I'll be posting real images from the Olympics with fake headlines on Twitter during the Olympics with the hashtag #Fauxlympics. There could be some fantastic fake headlines that dramatically alter a picture's meaning, and I want to see some of these appear on Twitter for fun. For example, there could be a great headline such as...
Suddenly, Norway has a reason to believe. Suddenly, Norway's hockey hopes aren't so bleak. Suddenly, Norway is a hockey power! Is it real? No, and I fully admit some people may get angry at this little bit of fun. But I think it's nice to give those athletes who feel they may not ascend to the podium to receive a medal a chance to see their name in lights. Granted, the lights are fake, but sometimes it's nice just to be recognized.

Like this guy from Belarus in their fake victory...
That's Alexei Ugarov from Belarus. He's currently playing for Admiral Vladivostok in the KHL, but I have good money that says very few people have every heard of him before on this side of the ocean. Yet I've now made Alexei Ugarov a little more of a household name thanks to his efforts in leading Belarus over Germany and into top-spot in their pool. Or you'd think he did thanks to this Fauxlympic headline and photo!

Look, this is all being done in jest, but I think there could be some talented people out there who find a photo waiting to be made into a fake headline of a fake newspaper or fake blog. All you have to is find a good photo, write a semi-believable headline that completely takes the picture in an opposite direction, and we'll see what we get at the end. I will be posting pictures that I deem to be excellent work, so brush up on your skills and get your fake reporter's cap on as you write fake headlines!
Like the photo above, it just has to be unique. I don't want to see Photoshops or manipulation of the image in any way other than applying a fake headline to it. Get rolling, kids, and we'll have ourselves a fun and entertaining Fauxlympic Games as we approach the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Once the games start, Twitter will light up with our #Fauxlympic headlines, and we'll have a good laugh as we enjoy the event.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: