Wednesday 26 March 2014

Hockey And Learning

If there is one thing this blog doesn't do very well, it's that I don't cater to the younger hockey fans out there. I apologize for this since I'm no longer a young hockey fan by age despite my apparent immaturity. I have taken to reviewing books through Teebz's Book Club for the younger fans, but I'm going to see if I can add some stuff to the ol' blog here for younger fans to enjoy in the coming weeks. That being said, today's entry is for the youngest fans as I want to show off a cool image.

If your young hockey fan is starting to grasp the game and is learning to count, I may have a way to combine their passion for the game with some learning. Found on a number of sites today and across the Twittersphere, here is your NHL counting chart!
Seriously, how cool is that?!? I wish I would have had that as a poster as a kid. Kudos to the parents who not only teach their kids to count using this handy chart, but who also teach their kids about the players who wore the numbers in each of the pictures! From Ken Dryden at 29 to Dwyane Norris at 53 to Wayne Gretzky at 99, each of these players has a story as well as a unique number!

In a secondary note, I never really have a reason to have Megan Fox on HBIC for any reason. As far as I can tell, she doesn't care for hockey, she hasn't been to any games, and she's married to a guy who apparently doesn't like hockey either. In short, the only reason I can put Megan Fox on HBIC is if there is something that relates her choice of t-shirt - excellent choice, might I add - to a relevant hockey story. Today, I have that opportunity as fans of the Hartford Whalers may have this date as circled as the date of hockey apocalypse in their fine city.

According to historical documents and facts, back on this date in 1997, Peter Karmanos announced to the world that the Hartford Whalers would be leaving the city of Hartford for greener pastures for the 1997-98 season. Along with ripping one of the Adams Division's most beloved underachieving teams out of Connecticut, the fantastic Whalers logo would cease to exist on merchandise as the city of Hartford fought and won the rights to the logo from the NHL for the next ten years.

Needless to say, I miss the Whalers. I loved that logo, and it needs to return along with the Nordiques' logo as well. Megan Fox is wearing that logo well!

Tomorrow, we have a massive episode of The Hockey Show. Great guests, controversial topics, giveaways to some awesome stuff, announcements... it's a full hour of fun! Make sure you tune in! The preview will be posted tomorrow morning!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: