Friday 27 May 2016

Seven Years In The Making

The Penguins finally won a Game Seven on home ice at the Consol Energy Center, and they're headed back to the Stanley Cup Final. It's been seven years since the team appeared in a Stanley Cup Final, winning over the Detroit Red Wings the last time they played for the Silver Chalice. I could list a few other notable achievements that this win brings with it, but there is one major difference for me: I get to watch my team compete for another Stanley Cup.

My brother is a Los Angeles Kings fan. He's a huge Drew Doughty fan, and he often stays up long past midnight trying to watch the Kings decimate their opponents. He's been lucky enough to have seen his team win two Stanley Cups in recent years, and he's watched them play in Staples Center and in Chicago. Needless to say, he's enjoyed the recent success of his team.

My dad is a Boston Bruins fan. While there has been less total success for the Bruins, my dad has seen the best of the Bruins over his years: Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito, Ray Bourque, and Patrice Bergeron. He's been witness to a few Stanley Cup celebrations in his time as a fan of the "big bad Bruins", and he is adamant that the team will be back next year after missing the playoffs this season.

The one team of the three of us who hasn't seen any Stanley Cup success in the last few years is my team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. However, I watched the Mario Lemieux goal against the Minnesota North Stars in 1991. I watched Jagr dance off the half-boards past a handful of Blackhawks in 1992. I witnessed the heartbreak in 1993 as I stood in a hockey card shop in West Edmonton Mall as David Volek ended what could have been a dynasty with his goal - it was the only place I was legally of age to watch the game if you must know. I saw Max Talbot put the Detroit Red Wings away in 2009 after losing to the Red Wings in 2008. I have seen my share of success for my team as well.

Monday night, the San Jose Sharks will skate on to Consol Energy Center ice for their first appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals ever while Pittsburgh will make their fifth appearance in the big dance. I'm psyched for this series. It's all about speed and skill, and for those proclaiming that the NHL is a copycat league this Stanley Final should tickle them pink.

Get buckled in for what might be the fastest, highest-scoring Stanley Cup Final in some time, kids. This one should be a gooder!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: