Monday 15 April 2024

A Night Out

I had mentioned to few people that my hours at home were involved in a project I had been asked to do, and tonight was the night where that project was revealed. I was invited to be a guest at the St. Mary's Academy Flames' season-ending banquet by head coach Larry Bumstead as we collaborated on creating tribute videos for the graduating players who were moving off to new opportunities at a number of places. I won't be posting very much about the banquet here mainly because it's something for Flames and not the public, but I did want to thank them again for having this goofy media guy at their year-end party where I seemingly don't fit.

To Larry, Rob, Terry, Kennedy, and Carol-Ann, thank you so much for everything you do for the team and for the girls, but thank you for allowing me the honour of capturing the spirit of the four graduating players in the tribute videos. I'll fully admit that I don't know the girls as well as these five people do in any capacity, but, after having conversations with Larry about the four graduates, my hope was that the tribute videos captured both their love of playing for all five of you and for St. Mary's Academy along with the spirit of each of the girls. Thank you for this opportunity, and I appreciate all the compliments received about the videos.

To all the parents, thank you again for letting me into the St. Mary's Academy world and treating me as if I belonged there despite me knowing how much of an outsider I actually am. I know Larry didn't let anyone know about the tribute videos so my presence there may have been a surprise, but it felt like being back at the Female World Sport School Challenge with how welcoming and inviting you all were. Thank you again for being one of the best groups I've worked with and alongside this year and every year.

To the players who are returning to the Flames next season, I have no idea what Bummer has planned, but you've seen the mad genius at work with his idea for the four videos done for Quinn, Chiara, Addison, and Mia. While I helped bring those videos to life, Bummer's already looking to do some more fun stuff for next season. Be prepared for another fun-filled Flames season in 2024-25, and congratulations on all your successes on the ice and in the classrooms this season! You hold the torch high, ladies!

To Quinn, Chiara, Addison, and Mia, the future is bright with you walking towards it. Each of you has a story you're writing that I am confident will end in nothing but good things. Quinn's adventures in Regina will be incredible to watch, Chiara's work at the University of Manitoba will be unparalleled, Addison's already scored a hole-in-one with her efforts in golf and she'll shine brightly at Bowling Green, and Mia's passion and dedication to the game will make the Saint Mary's Huskies that much better next season. Thank you for allowing me to capture your personalities and spirits in these videos you didn't know were coming. I admittedly don't know each of you beyond a professional level, but it's not hard to see why Bummer was so excited about his leadership group this year. Well done, ladies, and I know you're going to do well at your respective next stops!

My thanks also go out to Chef Sergei and his staff at The Press Box restaurant for the incredible meal they served for this evening, and one really should check out the amazing menu he's prepared if one visits the Hockey For All Centre in Winnipeg. It's delicious, modern dining with a fantastic bar that offers all your standard adult beverages plus some local craft offerings. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Cajun chicken sandwich they serve there, but the menu has lots of delicious food to experience!

In summary, I had an incredible night of amazing food, seeing people I admire and respect, and watching the next generation of great leaders take those steps with their final Flames gathering. Thank you to all who appreciated the videos I made, and I truly hope it captured the spirit and the personalities of the four graduating players. I am humbled by all the kind words, and I hope you'll allow me back into the Flames family next season if I'm invited.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: