Tuesday 16 April 2024

Some Birthday Banter

The blog is closed tonight because I'm off to do something that I only get to do once per year: celebrate my Dad's birthday. There's no denying that Dad's getting older, so every chance I get to spend a birthday with him and the family is important to me. One of the things Dad loves is barbecuing that comes along with summer, and his birthday today is kind of the official kick-off to that season. Tonight, we share in one of his favorite meals as my brother is grilling up hot dogs on the barbecue, and it'll feel like sitting at the game with a hot dog and a beverage as we watch the Jets and Kraken battle on the big-screen TV!

My Dad and I share a love of hockey despite him being a Bruins fan forever - judge accordingly - but he's been following the game closer thanks to this radio thing I do. Because of me exposing him to the women's game more, he's now a deeply-invested fan of the women's game, talking about how he enjoys the women's game as much as the men's game with their emphasis on speed, skill, and checking with purpose as opposed to making a highlight reel.

Dad was my co-pilot on the way to Saskatoon for the 2024 U SPORTS National Women's Championship, and there was lots of banter about the teams and players there. My Dad met Laurier Golden Hawks and Markham Thunder legend Liz Knox at the tournament and had a great discussion with her. He's been a regular watcher of PWHL games, and we have regular discussions about those games, the players and coaches, and where the next expansion teams may land in order to open more opportunities for more women. Needless to say, it makes me smile knowing Dad can chat a little hockey with Liz Knox... even if he didn't know who she was other than "the goalie coach for Toronto". Yes, I informed him of her legend status.

Because it's Dad's big day, I'm closing down the blog for the night so I can grab a hot dog and a beverage with the family, watch the Jets and Kraken play, and chat some puck with them. Happy birthday, Dad, and here's to more conversations about hockey and more chats with hockey legends without knowing it!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: