Monday 14 October 2024

The Long Weekend Feast

A lot of people will see the image to the left and think that's a delicious meal. I'm not arguing that it probably is, but it's not for me. I'm not a big Thanksgiving dinner person whatsoever and most of that comes from the fact that I'm not fond of turkey. I've been offered several different options for turkey consumption including deep-fried and barbecued, but none of it sounds remotely interesting to me. I'm not against side dishes like potatoes, carrots, or any other vegetable, but that main dish just ain't for me. In saying that, I opted out of Thanksgiving dinner this year and I don't regret that decision whatsoever.

The historical aspects aren't lost on me of why turkey is served at this time of year, and I don't want to hear about American Thanksgiving either. Canadian Thanksgiving is a unique observance that hasn't always landed in October, though, as it moved from April to November before a 1957 decision by the Canadian government made the observance happen annually on the second Monday in October. By doing so, the Canadian government also ensured that Thanksgiving and Remembrance Day didn't overlap or land on the same day as well. In short, it kept the Canadian observances separate.

I'm grateful for that decision because I honestly believe that we should honour the brave men and women who fought to protect our country and other countries who lost their lives in the line duty. Of course, I'm also grateful for my family, friends, and colleagues who enrich my days, and I feel pretty lucky to live in a great country like Canada. Yes, there are days where finding positives are more difficult, but I'm giving thanks today for all the good stuff in my life.

Because today is a holiday in the Great White North, I'm taking the day off. I've been watching hockey this afternoon, and I'll likely continue that activity into the evening. Of course, all of the US TV networks are gearing up for Halloween with every scary movie ever made being aired, but I'm going to stick with hockey. There's still lots of time before we get to that next annual October observance!

Just remember, folks: Jake Peralta of Brooklyn 99 fame wasn't wrong!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: