Tuesday 21 August 2012

Maybe It Was Mike Richards?

My brother tore off to a little town called Kenora, Ontario yesterday because there was a guest of honor in town: the Stanley Cup! Well, I guess Mike Richards of the Los Angeles Kings was the actual guest of honor, but he brought the Stanley Cup with him as he arrived home! My brother said it was "pretty cool" to meet one of his heroes as Richards came by with the Stanley Cup, but there was a strange report that came out of Kenora on Monday that someone had made off with the Stanley Cup banner commemorating the 1907 Stanley Cup Championship won by the Kenora Thistles!

I'll be the first to admit that I thought that maybe my brother did it, but he assures me he has no new wall hangings in his house. Besides, he appreciates hockey history just as much as I do, so I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have taken it even if it was available for the taking.

Ontario Provincial Police say the banner, a Canadian flag, and a Los Angeles Kings flag were stolen from the Whitecap Pavilion in Kenora on Monday. The banner is burgundy and white, and is about two metres long and a little under a metre wide. It's not like this was a little piece of fabric!

Honestly, if you know who did this, do the right thing, kids. Call the Ontario Provincial Police or Crime Stoppers and report the idiot who stole a piece of Kenora's and hockey's history. If you're reading this and you don't want to turn in the person who committed the theft, please encourage the petty criminal to return the banner to the Whitecap Pavilion.

Stealing something like this doesn't make you cool. It makes you an idiot. Do the right thing: return the banner. And don't be a complete idiot.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: