Wednesday 25 December 2013

A Christmas Tradition

If there is one Christmas movie that I watch every year without prejudice, it's Disney's telling of the Charles Dickens' story A Christmas Carol. I actually clear an hour of time specifically to watch this classic cartoon because of the memories it brings. While others may prefer Christmas movies such as Elf, Christmas Vacation, or Home Alone - and all are excellent Christmas movies, might I add - I simply opt for something from my childhood.

The cartoon was produced in 1983 by Walt Disney Productions, and it features many of the main Disney characters in a variety of roles. It's almost like an ensemble play by the most famous Disney characters, and all of them bring their own personalities to Dicken' characters they play.
With the main roles covered, there are a pile of extra players in the film from various Disney cartoons. The three little pigs are seen as carolers, Chip and Dale are seen dancing in the past, Huey, Louie, and Dewey are decorating a Christmas tree in the past, and Skippy Bunny and Toby Turtle from Disney's Robin Hood can be seen in some final scenes.

The fact that this movie received "two thumbs down" from Siskel and Ebert was surprising to me. Personally, this movie does an excellent job in teaching kids about the importance of being kind to one another without getting too wordy as Dickens sometimes can be. I admit I wasn't aware this was a Dickens story until my mom filled me in when I was an adolescent. And the fact that it won the 1983 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Subject tells me all I need to know about how great this cartoon is.

I finished last night's Christmas wishes on here while watching Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's a tradition for me regardless of where I am and who I'm with, so be prepared if I spend a Christmas with you. This will be watched, and I highly recommend it to everyone in getting that true Christmas feeling.

Oh, and FYI: if you're kicking around the house or at work or some other place that features an internet connection,  The Hockey Show goes live from 3pm to 6:30pm! Three hours of hockey chatter tomorrow on 101.5 UMFM! It's just me as Beans is off doing Christmas with his extended family and Columbus is back home in St. Paul, Minnesota, so we'll have a pile of stuff to discuss. We'll talk about the World Junior Championships, Spengler Cup action, the Winnipeg Jets, and I'll even have a special interview with Mr. Brian Poe, the chief vendor of the stick measurement gauge for the NHL! Join me tomorrow, and we'll talk lots of hockey!

Until next time, Merry Christmas!

No comments: