Tuesday 10 March 2015

How Long Will This Last?

It's a little hard to believe that I've been doing this blog thing for eight years. I'm 217 posts away from 3000 on this site, and if I continue my daily entry as I do now I'll hit 3000 on October 13, 2015. It's been very good, and I am overly appreciative of every reader who comes here, every partner I have had a chance to work with, and every opportunity presented to me because of this little hobby. However, all good things must come to an end at some point. Am I quitting? No, not at all. At least not yet. I really enjoy doing this some days. Other days, it seems like a chore. Overall, I have nothing to complain about, but I have to be realistic: it's gotta end sometime.

In saying that, I still plan on adding an entry daily until I no longer have the passion. I am still very passionate about hockey, the game, and the stories generated by it, and there are a ton of issues that should be resolved before I call it quits.

I've alluded to it in the past, but I like alternate views on the game of hockey. This blog is mainly written in my voice, and I'm by no means an expert on the game whatsoever. This is one of the benefits I find in having a radio show - we get alternate viewpoints that differ from my own. When good people like Neal and John write their Gentlemen, To Your Corners pieces, I really appreciate the effort they put into their viewpoints in terms of presenting their sides of the story. It makes me want more people to speak out and put their ideas on e-paper so I can post them here on HBIC.

I have maintained for a long time that this blog has been and always will be a blog "of the people, by the people, for the people" because we're all fans of the game whether we play, watch, work for a team, officiate, or any other capacity in terms of loving the game of hockey. I want to see more articles submitted from you, the readers of this blog, because I want to know your viewpoints.

Maybe you think the Jets are horrible?
Maybe you read a book that should be featured in Teebz's Book Club?
Maybe you love fighting in hockey?
Maybe you hate fighting in hockey?

I do know that there have been a pile of independent bloggers who have closed up shop or taken an opportunity to write for sites with multiple writers. I fault no one for taking that opportunity, especially if it churns out a few bucks for those writers. This blog does not make money in any way, and I've been offered writing spots at other blogs that would make me a little cash. The problem? I can't do the awesome things I like doing if I work under their rules. Things like the HBIC Playoff Pool would go the ay of the dodo if I had taken those opportunities, and I'm not about to crush that fun.

So here's what I am saying as I sum up this entry in a few succinct words: if you have an inkling to write, HBIC is your soapbox. I want more viewpoints. I want to hear your opinions. I want to discuss the game with many people because that's how we learn and trade information. A blog is nothing more than a water cooler where we can share stories, and that's what HBIC is all about. If you have a story to share, HBIC wants you to submit so we can all benefit!

If you have something to share, please send it to HBIC at this email address. I'm gonna forge ahead and continue writing for the foreseeable future, but I know there are more of you out there who have something to say. Write it down, send it in, and I'll post it. I can't guarantee you fame or fortune, but I can certainly offer up a reasonable discussion.

Isn't that the point of a blog?

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: