Friday 20 September 2024

Bumped By Updates

If you tuned into UMFM at 5:30pm yesterday to listen to The Hockey Show, you were treated to an hour of music instead. Jason and I don't do a music show, so I can understand where the confusion may lie. Jason and I did do a show - it's linked on yesterday's page already - but you may have found youself wondering how a talk show about hockey could sound so musical. I normally check in just to hear how the pre-recorded audio sounds, and I was surprised to hear music playing where we're normally waxing poetic about hockey. I needed answers to why the show wasn't playing, and I set off to find them so that we could give you an answer if you were looking to listen to our madness.

Because we pre-recorded our show so we didn't have to take our respective illnesses into the studio with us, we sent that show to GM Jared and Program Director Mike who load it onto our automation computer at UMFM. Basically, this is the computer that has all the automated segments you may hear daily - commercials, PSAs, and announcements - along with shows that have been pre-recorded for specific times. Effectively, if there is no DJ in the booth, the automation takes over and makes sure something is playing on UMFM.

The problem we ran into yesterday is that automation computer rebooted itself due to Windows updates needing to be installed, and that reboot messed up the timing of everything on the automation computer. Because of this, our show wouldn't have been played until much later in the evening, so we were the victims of technology working properly. This might be the first time I've ever complained about security updates on a computer.

Regardless, the show was recorded as stated above, and it can heard in its entirety off the link on the show preview page. Both Jason and I are still battling our illnesses, so anything hockey is still at a standstill for me. I want this cold gone.

In any case, there's the explanation for what happened yesterday if you had tuned into UMFM at 5:30pm. While the sounds of music are always more pleasant than my voice, they don't give you the examination and perpsective about the bigger hockey stories from the last week like we do. We'll keep doing our thing every Thursday, though, so thanks for tuning in... even if it wasn't us you heard!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: