Monday 29 February 2016

Trade DUD-Line Day

Trade Deadline Day is a waste of time. Many of the trades that the major networks wanted to see happen today actually went down long before the calendar flipped to the extra day in February. With social media being as prevalent in our lives as it is, why are the networks wasting entire programming days for 16 trades, many of which are minor-league deals that would get merely a mention on a sports recap?

I didn't watch any of Trade Deadline Day on TV. I was at work, and I had my phone handy so social media could keep me up-to-date on any of the latest news from the NHL world. It did a pretty good job in keeping me apprised of which minor-leaguer and draft pick went where, so I feel like I missed nothing from the "expanded coverage" that TSN and Sportsnet wasted on television.

We're not even going to talk about the trade deadline on The Hockey Show this week. There's no point. And, quite frankly, there's no point in having eight hours of "coverage" for 16 trades. It's time to dial this monstrosity known as "Trade Deadline Day" back since the business side of the NHL often means that the vast majority of deals go down in the last hour to two hours of these broadcasts.

Like the outdoor games, this spectacle has run its course.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: