Sunday 11 June 2017

Back To Back

It's been a heckuva year for Sidney Crosby. The World Cup of Hockey in September was a tournament I didn't even care about, but Sid went and led Canada to a championship there while earning MVP honours, and that was after winning the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy in June of 2016. He captured the Maurice Richard Trophy this season as he led the league in goals, and then proceeded to lead his team to the first back-to-back Stanley Cup championship since the 1997-98 Red Wings while earning his back-to-back Conn Smythe. If you want to talk about "best year ever", there won't be many who will compete with Crosby's year.

I could sit here and write about watching my team win five Stanley Cups. I could recount the places I was while watching the final game when Lemieux deked Jon Casey, Shawn Chambers, and Neil Wilkinson out of their jockstraps. I could tell you where I was when I watched Jagr juke around a dozen Blackhawks, a hot dog vendor, and an usher before beating Belfour. I could tell you the heartbreak I felt and where I was when I witnessed David Volek destroy the dreams of a three-peat in 1993.

I watched the 2008 Stanley Cup Final in agony as the Detroit Red Wings won another Silver Chalice over the Penguins only to feel overjoyed in 2009 when the Penguins returned the favour thanks to Max Talbot's heroics. I could tell you where I was last season when the Penguins won in Game Six over San Jose. And I can tell where I was tonight when the Penguins downed the Nashville Predators in six games as well.

Like the did in 1991 and 1992, the Penguins stand on the verge of one of the most impossible feats in sports in looking at another three-peat. The target will squarely be on their backs all season next year, and I expect that target to only get bigger if and when they qualify for the postseason. That being said, it's time to for the Penguins to celebrate before getting back down to work as they are the best NHL team over the last three months of play.

For the leader of the Penguins, the shower he received upon walking into the Penguins' dressing room is something that very few ever receive. Enjoy the moment, Pittsburgh Penguins and all Penguins fans. They are the best team today and until they hand the trophy to someone new.

I had a number of beers tonight after softball to celebrate both our win on the diamond and the Penguins' win on the ice. Needless to say, it's always nice to see the team you've followed your entire life bring home another championship when most pundits predicted other teams to represent the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup Final. Sidney Crosby, though, had other plans and delivered once more.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: