Monday 12 February 2018

Hovi Blog In Canada

Through my time in writing this blog, doing the radio show, and being around hockey of all skill levels, it's still a little surreal to me that I get to speak with Olympic medalists. You don't really think about it at the time, but seeing Venla Hovi as she is in the photo makes me realize just how lucky I am to know her and how lucky I am that I have a friendship with her. Venla and Finland opened the Olympic women's hockey tournament on Sunday, and I was hoping she might make a major impact after her fantastic showing in Canada West hockey this year.

Apparently, I didn't need to wait long to see Venla do what she does so effortlessly while with the Manitoba Bisons!
I've seen that one-timer at Wayne Fleming Arena and across western Canada before, and it looks even better in Finnish blue! Venla opened the scoring in the Finland-USA game, but Finland would eventually fall 3-1 in this game. It's a little bittersweet as I had hoped that Finland might surprise the Americans, but the Americans finally got their game going in the second period and never really looked back.

Officially, whenever Venla scores a goal or an assist in these Olympics while wearing her Manitoba Bisons-coloured gloves, the highlight, if it can be found, will go up here. She's incredible, she's an inspiration, she's an idol, and she's my friend, so this blog will become Hovi Blog In Canada whenever she scores. If there's one thing I support more than hockey, that would be my friends. Venla Hovi's work in Pyeongchang will be highlighted and promoted whenever she puts her name on the scoresheet.

Finland will tangle with Canada next, so the road to a medal gets no easier for them. They'll battle the Olympic Athletes from Russia at the end of the round-robin on Valentine's Day, so keep your eyes on this blog as I'll post any and all Venla Hovi highlights that I can find.

It's not often that a friend goes to the Olympics, so she's going to get the royal treatment from HBIC!

Until next time, pitää tikkuja jäällä!

No comments: