Wednesday 22 June 2022

The Most Canadian Grand Prix

If you haven't been following trends in the sports world, you might be surprised to see HBIC writing about the F1 racing world today. As per ESPN's numbers, 2021 saw the most fans tune into an F1 season ever on American television with some 934,000 viewers per race - a 54 percent increase over 2020. Those viewership numbers are staggering in terms of the overall growth, but it speaks volumes in the power of marketing and investing in the coverage of the sport. With the Canadian Grand Prix being raced this past Sunday, today is all about the most Canadian method of racing starring a guy who was a big star in La Belle Province!

Max Verstappen won this past weekend's race in Montreal with a time of 1:36:21.757 in completing 70-laps of the 4.361-kilometre Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve. He wasn't involved in the most Canadian of races, though, as former Canadiens defenceman PK Subban invited drivers Sergio "Checo" Perez and Yuki Tsunoda along with Olympic Gold medalist and snowboard legend Seb Toots to run a time trial in a vehicle very familiar to Canadians: a Zamboni ice resurfacer!

Red Bull Racing sponsored this fun exercise deemed "the slowest time trial ever" as the three men navigated the race course on a Zamboni ice resurfacing machine. Settle in for some laughs because this race is all about maximum speed - 9 miles per hour as per Zamboni's information - and expert steering through some tight turns!

Obviously, this is a fun way to sell the F1 racing scene to hockey fans, but I have no idea what accolades Sergio "Checo" Perez and Yuki Tsunoda have accumulated in their careers. I also didn't watch this past weekend's race, and, if we're going for full disclosure, I didn't even know it was being held this past weekend. My total knowledge of F1 racing can be held within a thimble, and there'd still be room left over.

What I do know is that this a fun way to promote the Canadian Grand Prix in a city that loves its hockey and its hockey heroes. What I do know is that both Sergio Perez and Yuki Tsunoda did not finish the race on Sunday, so there was no celebrating two victories in Montreal for Sergio Perez. Both men will leave Montreal empty-handed after Tsunoda finished off the top of the podium and Perez's trophy mishap.

Red Bull won't leave Montreal too disappointed, though, as Max Verstappen is a Red Bull Racing driver, and he claimed the checkered flag this past weekend! Beyond that, I'd say they also successfully pulled off the first-ever Canadian Grand Prix time trial on Zamboni ice resurfacing machines in F1 history!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

4 comments:

Catie said...

I am the opposite - an avid F1 fan, but a casual hockey watcher.And Gilles and Jacques (son) Villeneuve were my favourite racing family growing up on the other side of the globe. I am curious: are they as well recognized in Canada as are, let’s say, Gretzky or Mario Lemieux?

Teebz said...

Hi Catie!

I would doubt that most Canadians could identify Gilles or Jacques Villeneuve without some sort of clue. I know Jacques from his crazy blond hair that he sported, but seeing him with his head shaved would have thrown me off the trail. Gilles would have been much harder for me to identify only because I admittedly don't follow the F1 circuit nor know its history as deep as I do hockey's history. Admittedly, I should know more about these Canadian racing legends!

Thanks for reading and the great comment! :)

Catie said...

Hi Teebz,
thank *you* for your reply! I am a long-time lurker, came here for your excellent book reviews, and stayed for nuanced commentary on current events around hockey.

Yes, Jacques has both extravagant looks and outspoken views... but I still prefer him to the current crop of rich boys :) Not everyone can win F1 title AND Indy 500!
Gilles is still remembered fondly by Ferrari fans, like his friend Guy Lafleur (RIP) is still revered by Habs fans. BTW, Guy's name was added to start-finish line this year, a very touching tribute IMO: https://lookcharms.com/canadian-grand-prix-a-first-class-tribute-to-guy-lafleur/

Anyway, thank you for keeping blogging and not switching to 140-character twitter posts :)

Teebz said...

That's a very cool tribute! I didn't even know they had done that!

Gilles was a great racer. I always looked for his name on the leaderboard when they showed highlights because I wanted "that Canadian guy" to win. His accomplishments should make him a bigger star in Canada admittedly.

I have a couple of books nearly done, so expect a couple more book reviews shortly! Thanks for reading those because I truly enjoy the books I review! And I promise there will be no 140-character posts here. I have far too many thoughts on everything for it to fit into 140-characters. :)