Monday 29 April 2024

Poor Choice Of Words

I have a lot of respect for Jon Cooper as a coach. He's led his team to a couple of Stanley Cup victories, he's always found a way to keep the Lightning competitive despite losing some key players, and he seems to understand his players in helping them be successful individually. As always, though, teams will go through cycles where they go from contenders to also-rans, and it seems the Lightning are moving into the latter's space after winning in 2020 and 2021. Nevertheless, the Lightning played well enough this season to make some believe they could shake things up in the playoffs, and Jon Cooper was a large reason why they were successful. As stated, I respect Jon Cooper.

Tonight, Cooper had every reason to be frustrated following a 6-1 loss to the Florida Panthers that ended Tampa Bay's playoff run. During the game, the officials disallowed two goals scored by Tampa Bay due to goaltender interference that were, at best, wishy-washy. Yes, there was some contact between players and goalies, but, as you'll hear below, Cooper shares the same belief that I do in that the battles in front of the net will result in some incidental contact.

However, I feel Cooper may have stated something he didn't intend when discussing the calls from the 2:10 to 2:12 mark of the video. I'll explain why below, but the imagery he used about how goalies are seemingly handled with white gloves missed the mark entirely.
I'm not here to let Jon Cooper off the hook for his imagery of goalies in skirts, but he needed to choose his words better there. Tampa Bay has hosted a number of women's hockey events over the last few years, and I'm quite certain that Cooper is aware of that fact. I get that he's speaking out of frustration at the results of the game and those two plays, but immediately going to "skirts" isn't the description that he should be using here in any fashion.

Again, I'm not letting Cooper off the hook for what he said, but I will defend that he likely chose those words poorly in his moment of frustration. Cooper, for those who don't know, has two twin girls, Josie and Julia, who are 16, and he is intensely proud of his daughters as much as he is for his hockey-playing son, 14 year-old Jonny. Julia and Josie were born the day before Jon's St. Louis Gamblers won the 2008 North American Hockey League championship, so the playoffs are always a special time around the Cooper household with birthdays to celebrate.

For a man so deeply dedicated to his family - they had daily calls and he sent them postcards during the pandemic playoff bubble - I don't think he intentionally played the misogyny card during his monologue on goalie interference. Yes, it was a misstep, but this is one where the flaming torches, spears, and pitchforks can probably be left at home by the mob. At no point that I can recall has Jon Cooper ever spoke poorly of women in hockey, and he's been quite supportive of Caley Chelios, the Lightning radio analyst.

"She is as knowledgeable as anyone I talk to in the game," Cooper said to USA Today's Kevin Allen, "and it comes natural to her."

Cooper was also a fan of Anne Schleper joining the Lightning for practice in 2014, stating, "I was really impressed with her. She spoke a lot on the ice. You could really distinguish her voice. She was really active, saying all the right things, calling for the puck. I think she got better as the practice went on" before adding, "For her to come out here and be with our guys, I'm sure, it was fun for our guys and I'm sure it was a ton of fun for her. But if we can build the sport in any way and if that helps ten little girls to play hockey, then it's paid off."

A lot of people will point out that I actually am defending Cooper, but I'll stress that he doesn't get a pass from me for the language he used in a moment of frustration. That will never fly with me for anyone who wants to use a sexist remark, so I still expect that Jon Cooper will apologize for his remarks in the coming days in order to clear this up - sooner would be better.

What I am trying to show, though, is that Cooper's remarks aren't a trend or a pattern of sexism or misogyny in any way, and that he's supported women in hockey when he's been asked while being a family man who cherishes his wife and kids. Did he mess up using the term he did? Absolutely, and I - fan, supporter, and devoted follower of the women's game - would hope he realizes he chose his words poorly tonight. But should one misstep in a moment of frustration be the reason he's facing the social media guillotine today?

Did Jon Cooper screw up? Heck yes. Does he deserve a chance to apologize? I'd also say yes. You're welcome to debate this in the comments below, but I'm sticking with my belief that Jon Cooper is a good coach and a better person despite his misstep tonight during a frustrating ending to his team's season.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: