Sunday 2 November 2008

Back To Blogging

With my Internet Service Provider still causing me headaches, I've decided that I'll stick it to them by writing this long-winded article anyway. I'm quite certain that they won't even notice my act of defiance, but I'm taking a stand and that's what counts. Anyway, rather than using the typewriter to the left, I'm writing as much as I can and saving it often before I hit the "publish" button like I did a number of time yesterday. It feels like Grade Seven computer class all over again - "save your work early and often". The lessons taught to me in my youth hold so much truth today. See? Stay in school, kids! You'll learn important truths like that one!

In any case, now that I'm done rambling, there are a pile of headlines that need to be looked at from the last few days. Personally, there are a couple that will get a comment or two from me due to the insanity that these stories present. Let's take a look at these stories.

  • Hockey Canada's iconic logo may have to change for the 2010 Olympics. Look, I get that Hockey Canada uses the logo as a way to generate revenue. But the logo is iconic in that it represents Canadian hockey as a whole, not just Hockey Canada's programs. Now, I'm not blaming the IOC for this rule as they have begun enforcing their rules much more strictly. I am, however, blaming the Canadian Olympic Committee for not working with the IOC to have the Canadian logo allowed at the games like they have done in the past. Give your heads a shake, Canadian Olympic Committee. Hockey will be your biggest draw in Vancouver. I'm sure there will be more on this story, so keep your eyes open on this one.
  • The New York Islanders will be without their 15-year man as Rick DiPietro underwent arthroscopic surgery on his knee. The new surgery will be to relive pain in his surgically-repaired knee for a meniscus tear. DiPietro is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
  • The New Jersey Devils may have to rely on Kevin Weekes for the next few games as Martin Brodeur left yesterday's game with what is being called "a bruised elbow". Brodeur sprawled to make a save yesterday during the second period and landed on his left elbow. He left shortly afterwards while clutching the same elbow. He is listed as day-to-day, but there's no question that he has earned the rest after playing every second of every game for the Devils thus far this season.
  • On October 23, Carey Price was battling a case of the flu, and the Canadiens had no one else in town who played net. At the suggestion of goaltending coach Roland Melanson, the Canadiens phoned Kim St-Pierre, Team Canada's women's team goaltender. According to head coach Guy Carbonneau, "I thought she hung in there pretty well. I don't think anybody put less velocity on their shots. They tested her and she stood in there. It was good to see", and suggested that if they were down to one goalie again, St-Pierre would get the call. Fabulous story, and good on the Canadiens.
  • Sean Simpson has been selected for the second straight year to coach the Canadian team at the Spengler Cup held in Davos, Switzerland from December 26-31, 2008. Simpson is the head coach for the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Elite League, and led Canada to a Spengler Cup championship win last season. Montreal's Serge Pelletier and Russ Courtnall of Victoria will round out Simpson's coaching staff. Good luck, gentlemen!
  • The Montreal Canadiens suspended defenceman Pavel Valentenko without pay after leaving the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs for Moscow Dynamo of the KHL. According to reports, Valentenko could not support his family in Russia on the $150,000-per-year deal he had with the Bulldogs, so he went home for more money with Dynamo. While the details of this case are different than Alexander Radulov's jump to Russia, the young man appears to be in the same boat - suspended by the IIHF from international competition for breaching his contract.
  • It's official: Marty Turco has destroyed my fantasy hockey team with his abysmal play. This guy is messed up in a number of ways on the ice, and I can't even begin as to where to fix him. All I know is that my fantasy team numbers are suffering at his hands.
  • The Toronto Maple Leafs continued to rain shots upon opposing goaltenders. Last night, the Leafs were 7:26 away from being shutout by the New York Rangers and Stephen Valiquette when they exploded for five goals. The Maple Leafs scored five goals in 5:21 of action, and won the game 5-2. They lead the league in shots-per-game, and put up another ridiculous 35 shots last night. Perhaps Ron Wilson could be coach-of-the-year with the way he's made the Leafs a blue-collar team this season?
I'm still shocked at that Leafs victory. It was truly amazing. And I'm absolutely speechless at Dallas. For all those out there that said the Sean Avery signing would be good for Dallas, are you sticking to that theory? He was embarrassing last night. And Marty Turco... well, I'm just going to leave that one alone.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

2 comments:

momma diesel said...

Avery is an embarrassment and I'm glad he's blowing up in Brett Halls stupid face. When one of your most respected players would rather sell tickets then play with that idiot...well that's just what the Stars deserve.

Anonymous said...

What a bubch of bunk from the IOC. They have just decided to grandstand now that we will be hosting the olympics. They never had a problem in the past.
Walt AKA All Sports on the Web
All Sports on the Web