Wednesday 8 July 2009

Freebies and Contests

The old inbox connected to this blog has been overflowing with mail, and it's high time that I go through and clear some of it out. I've been lucky enough to receive some very good email with interesting articles and comments, and I'm grateful to have these people emailing me. After all, this blog would be nothing without its readers, so thank you to all those who emailed over the past few weeks. Today is all about recognizing those who sent me stuff, and for those who want me to chat up some stuff. Basically, I'm turning this blog over to the readers today.

I received an email from a lady by the name of Lyndsey. Lyndsey works for a public relations firm in New York City, New York, and she wanted to know if I smelled. Ok, she really didn't ask that, but she wanted to know if my hockey gear does. Being that I wear it regularly over the winter, it normally spends some time in the spring airing out in the backyard.

Thankfully, she offered me a test sample of a new product called WIN High Performance Detergent. According to WIN's website, the science is oxygen: "Win Detergent's scientifically designed super oxygenated system directly targets offensive odors and stains. This powerful oxy cleaning technology eliminates the embedded sweat molecules and odors that overwhelm the fabric".

I'm all about finding products that can kill my offensive odors after sports. I won't lie - sometimes, I stink after a long, hard game of hockey. Thanks to Lyndsey, however, I'll be test-driving this product in the near future, and you'll get a full review on WIN High Performance Detergent. If you're interested in the product, you can find it in Canada exclusively at Shopper’s Drug Mart, and it retails for $7.99 for a 32 oz. bottle. It comes in normal WIN formula, and an eco-friendly formula entitled WIN Green. Look for this review in the coming weeks!

I also received an email from Jeff. Jeff is the promotional manager for Wholesalekeychain.com, an officially-licensed business that sells keychains in a variety of styles and themes. One is NHL-themed keychains, and I was kind of interested in seeing what Jeff had to offer after he had contacted me.

Granted, there isn't a lot of explanation needed when it comes to keychains, they have a fairly decent selection of NHL-themed keychains. These Colorado Avalanche keychains are pretty decent, and it appears that all the styles of keychain are available in all 30 NHL teams.

However, if you're a fan of the Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Ottawa Senators, San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, or the Washington Capitals, you may have to be content with the old logo. It could be that the website simply hasn't been updated, but it appears that the old logos are all that are available for those teams.

Not to worry, though, because I've requested a sample, and I will be offering up these NHL-themed keychains in my next contest. You, the readers, will have the opportunity to win a keychain along with other prizes in the next contest, compliments of Jeff and the good people at Wholesalekeychain.com.

In a third email, I received a message from Sean McDonald who wanted to know if I was remarkable. I can tell you that I am not remarkable in any way. In all seriousness, though, Sean wanted me to know that Guinness Canada was celebrating its 250th Anniversary, and they are running a remarkable contest!

The "Be Remarkable" contest essentially lets you do what you've always dreamed of: go into space, visit the Guinness brewery in Ireland, help out a charity of choice by providing them with some much needed time and money... literally, anything you can dream of is the grand prize in this contest.

So how does Guinness determine a winner? According to their rules and information, "[e]ntries will be judged and fulfilled based on the levels of inspiration, dedication, ingenuity and effort. All of which are characteristics of Guinness and its founder, Arthur Guinness". Click on the "Enter Now" option, and get your dream filfilled!

After all, watching an exciting hockey game works up my thirst, and I appreciate a sophisticated beverage to quench that thirst. And maybe Guinness isn't your beverage of choice. That's ok, too. You can still have your dream fulfilled simply by entering! And just to keep you entertained, here are a pile of Guinness advertisements (each word is a different advertisement). Because good advertising isn't lost on this writer. And I always love the old-time feel in those first five ads. Very pub-like.

I would like to thank Lyndsey, Jeff, and Sean for providing me these opportunities and samples. As stated, you, the reader, will get a full review of both samples being sent, and I will offer up the keychains as prizes in the next contest. That's my "thank you" to you for stopping by and checking out this blog on a daily/weekly/monthly/whenever-you-have-time basis.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

3 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

I just found your blog. It's awesome. Always great to see someone else talking puck.

Anonymous said...

My wife has a hockey equipment mandate. No gear allowed in the house. It has to live in the garage.

But to tell the truth, my gear doesn't smell too bad at all. After every game, I pull every piece out of the bag, and lay it out to dry. So my hockey bag doesnt smell like I smuggled a body in it.

I also put shirts and jerseys up to air dry after my games prior to throwing them in the washer.

Some of the bags and equipment on my team...I can't see how you would willingly pull something that smelled that bad out of the bag and put it on. It's like Fear Factor or something.

Sean said...

Thanks for the shout out! It's a fun contest and you wouldn't believe the kinds of remarkable experiences Canadians are submitting - we're going to start sharing some of the suggestions soon.

Hopefully you've submitted your request for a thirst inducing, hockey game experience....