Wednesday 1 May 2024

Back In The Booth

Last summer, I saw an opportunity that I thought would be fun as I applied to be one of the official scorers for the local professional minor-league baseball team. I figured it would be a tough job when it comes to learning all the nuances of the league and scoring software, but it turned out that the software was something with which I was already familiar, so my biggest job was more just scoring the games accurately than trying to figure out how to score games. In saying all that, I had a blast last year, the team asked me to return this year, and I am off to staff orientation night this evening!

The majority of the scoring team is returning, and it will be good to reconnect with a number of my colleagues as we had too much fun in the pressbox last season watching baseball. We do have one new recruit, but I feel this person will be easily incorporated into our group as everyone was there to work hard, have a laugh, and watch some ball while being paid. That's the part that seems so surreal: I'm being paid to watch baseball!

Anyway, the orientation goes tonight for all staff, so I'm off to the ballpark for that event. Enjoy the hockey games as I'll have my mind on baseball for the next few hours, but we'll be back with a fun episode of The Hockey Show tomorrow where the first exit interviews will be heard as we start to clear the beach on Survivor: NHL Playoffs island! As a side note, I'll have all the challenge prizes that have been won either sent out or delivered by Friday, so keep your eyes on your email if you're a winner!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: