Monday 9 January 2012

A 2012 Resolution

Teebz's Book Club is always looking for a good book. You're probably aware that I really like to push the idea of reading for young readers - children, teens, adolescents - because it encourages important traits necessary in the real world: imagination, spelling, grammar, comprehension, memory, and creativity but to name a few. Books can open up the world to a reader by bringing home a world of creativity and information, so I encourage you to head to your local library or bookstore and start immersing yourself in the written word. I guarantee there is something for everyone for all age groups and interests. Best of all, you might just find something new to indulge yourself in.

I've decided to pledge myself to approximately one book per week this year. I have thrown my name forward and pledged to read 50 books this year. I know - it seems like a lot, and it certainly means that I'll need to be committed. But 50 books is approximately one per week, and that means that I will commit myself to something I love doing: reading.

In an effort to show just how great books can be, FOHBIC (Friend of HBIC) Michael E. posted the following incredible video on his Facebook account, and the joy of reading really is made into a visual presentation by the husband and wife team that runs Type bookstore in Toronto. Enjoy this video because it's awesome.

Pretty great, right? Type bookstore can be found at 883 Queen Street West in Toronto, Ontario. It may be a place I have to visit!

50 books. 2012. I started with one already with my review of Tough Guy a couple of days ago. Only 49 to go, and I've started on my next book already.

Anyone else wanna commit to reading this year? Put your name in the comments below, and let me know what books I should be reading next!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

5 comments:

Deanna Reads Books said...

I love this idea! There is social networking site for readers called goodreads.com which does a similar challenge, in which I'm a part of. I'd love to hear if you know of any good fictional hockey books. It's a genre that I think the industry is missing.

Teebz said...

I agree, DM. HarperCollins had a link about this challenge, and I think it says a lot about how important books are, and perhaps how we've come to neglect good literature.

As for good fictional books, I'll do some digging, but the "Game Time" series published by Scholastic Canada is getting better with each book.

Robert Ullman said...

I've pledged to complete volume 2 of Old-Timey Hockey Tales in 2012, so that'll make a really quick read for you to check off the list!

Teebz said...

Your work is always welcome on HBIC, Rob, and I cannot wait for the next Old-Timey Hockey Tales! I'll PayPal you as soon as its ready! :o)

Peter Santellan said...

I don't know if children's books count here, but The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier is a definite must read, particularly for children.