Sunday 27 January 2019

A Great Honour


This is a more personal article today as a man who I admired and respected greatly was honoured posthumously by a local hockey team for his contributions on and off the ice to the team's success. Wayne Deschouwer and I actually didn't cross paths through hockey, though. He and I were both slo-pitch umpires, and I was routinely one of his recruits for tournaments where he needed umpires. He loved being an umpire as much as he loved hockey, and he expected that one was to do the job as he expected if one wore a uniform. Tonight's celebration of Wayne Deschouwer was something Wayne would have loved, and I'm hoping the big guy was watching from his place in heaven and enjoying every second of being honoured for all he did.

Here is video taken by Tom Hallick of the entire tribute to Wayne. It's 14 minutes in length, but if you knew Wayne this will feel like the shortest 14 minutes of your life. Thanks, Tom, for posting this video!

Beautiful tribute to Wayne. :')

Posted by Tom Hallick on Monday, January 28, 2019
Wayne Deschouwer was a great man who loved life, loved being around the rink, loved being on the diamond, and was a great inspiration for me as an umpire. He was taken far too young from this world, and I'm going to miss him dearly this summer. It just won't be the same not hearing his laugh, seeing his smile, and taking his usual volley of good-hearted ribbing he'd dish out.

Rest in peace, Wayne. You'll always be remembered by me. Thanks for making me a better person, a better umpire, and for being an inspiration to many. This banner hanging in Eric Coy Arena is the memory of a man who only lived to make the lives of others better, and I'm proud to say I'm one of those whose life was made better by knowing Wayne.

Until next time, raise your sticks high in honour of Mr. Wayne Deschouwer!

No comments: