Sunday 6 September 2020

Clancy For Matty

It was a pretty big day for Minnesota Wild defenceman Matt Dumba. While the Wild have been done for some time after the Canucks eliminated them in the play-in round, Matt Dumba was honoured today as the 2020 recipient of the King Clancy Memorial Trophy as the player "who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community". I'm not sure I can argue with this choice after everything that Matt Dumba has done in being at the forefront of inclusiveness not only in hockey, but within the community as well.

"This is a very special day for me and my family," the Calgary-born Dumba said of receiving the award. "I'm just so honoured. This award really isn't about you. It's about the people around you, all the support and love that I've got for them. When the passing of George Floyd happened, months ago, I took to my social media and knew that I could do more. I didn't know what that exactly meant at the time, but I knew I could step up and be an even bigger leader in my community, in the city that has shown me so much love and support throughout my career.

"This is the least I can do, giving back to them and trying to make a difference, and a voice of change and strength in our community."

This is why Matt Dumba is a special person and deserving of this award.

Not only did Dumba co-found the Hockey Diversity Alliance in an effort to eradicate systemic racism and intolerance in hockey, but he's been a vocal advocate for this eradication of racism and intolerance in society as well. His efforts haven't gone unnoticed by both his peers in the NHL and by his fans in the community as they've rallied around Dumba in support for his efforts.

Matt put $100,000 of his own money into Rebuild Minnesota as he and his brother, Kyle, are working to help the small businesses and non-profit organizations in the Lake Street community rebuild and return following the death of George Floyd. That $100,000 donation represents one-fifth of the money that the fundraiser is aiming for in order to provide funding to the Lake Street Council in Minnesota and ActionDignity in Canada to initiate and implement change for the better.

Matt was also involved in the Hockey Fights Cancer efforts by the Minnesota Wild where he gave a tribute to a close friend, he donated money to help the relief efforts in Australia as they battled the intense wildfires, and he provided "COVID-19 support to more than 60 families who are part of Athletes Committed to Educating Students".

I know I have no say in how these rich athletes spend their money or invest their time, but seeing all of this work by Matt Dumba makes me proud of the efforts he made to make a difference. Changing even one life for the better would be a worthy cause to celebrate, but Matt used his celebrity status and money earned from hockey to change the lives for hundreds, possibly thousands, of people this year. That kind of charity is what more of this world needs, and I, for one, commend and celebrate Matt Dumba's award here today for everything he's done to make the world a better place.

Thanks, Matt. I'm glad you're being recognized for your efforts.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: