Saturday 19 March 2022

I Stand With Tori

This is Tori Sullivan. Tori is currently a member of the PHF's Boston Pride, having graduated from Northeastern University where she was a standout NCAA hockey player. Her career actually started with the Boston College Eagles, but her switch to a new school was something more unexpected that the unforeseen break she took from playing collegiate hockey. Her international career seemed to evaporate as quickly as it arrived as the thoughts of her wearing the red-white-and-blue for years to come as a university standout never materialized. If you're wondering what happened to Tori Sullivan, CTV's Rick Westhead has the answer tonight.

I'm not going to say much about Tori's story upfront that was shown tonight on CTV's W5 program other than you should watch it. It's a tough story to hear, so I want everyone to be aware that viewer discretion is advised when it comes to younger readers of this blog. The topics discussed on W5 tonight in Tori's piece are certainly more for adults than kids.

I will give credit to Rick Westhead for exposing another terrible incident in hockey that affected Tori so deeply, and I want to commend Tori for her courage to not only tell the story, but overcome the demons that found her because of it. Without further adieu, here is the W5 piece on Tori Sullivan that aired tonight.



There's a lot to process there, and it sickens me that Boston College's response to any and all of Tori's story is to pretend like it never happened. To me, this feels like the same thing that happened to the players at Lethbridge when they reported being harassed by former head coach Michelle Janus where the University of Lethbridge simply tried to sweep it under the rug like everything they said happened actually never occurred. I don't know how people can look at themselves in the mirror after something as serious as Tori's allegations are categorically dismissed like they never happened.

I feel for Tori and her parents. This is a matter that deserves a serious investigation, and it shouldn't take CTV's Rick Westhead to rattle the skeletons in Boston College's closets. To hear Tori's dad speaking about the fog he was in from the rage he felt, I feel like I'd have the same reaction if my daughter told me that. That fire would only burn hotter if Boston College issued the response to me that they did to the Sullivans.

There's only one thing that needs to be said here: I stand with and I support Tori Sullivan in this matter. If what she alleges did happen, there needs to be some resolution in the matter. I completely understand that Tori, with the help of her coaches, her parents, her friends, and her teammates, has gotten through the darkest moments she's ever experienced, but no one should be forced to carry that baggage with them for as long as Tori did. Anyone who denied or ignored Tori's accusation should be forced to carry that guilt she felt tenfold. It's the only justice that can be served at this point in time.

I want to thank Tori Sullivan, again, for the courage she showed in telling this story. I want to thank Rick Westhead, CTV, and the W5 producers for allowing Tori to tell her story so she can find some closure. I want to heap praise on Northeastern head coach Dave Flint, Boston Pride head coach Paul Mara, her teammates with the Huskies and the Pride, and her parents, friends, and family for helping Tori find her way back to a good place where she's smiling once again. These people might just think of themselves as everyday people, but they're heroes in helping to save Tori Sullivan's life.

I don't know Tori Sullivan, but I'll always stand with and support Tori in her efforts to not only tell her story and find her path in life again, but in her efforts to inspire others to speak out about something as serious as sexual assault. If Tori's recounting of her past here today inspires even one more person of any gender to speak up, she can add the word "hero" to her resumé as well.

Stay strong, Tori. You're an inspiration for many with your courage.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: