Peppers Over Hockey
It's officially the first Monday of August where there isn't a lot of important hockey happening. I feel like it's going to be pretty slow for the remainder of the month, so I'm going to dive into a little cooking today as let my mind escape any thoughts of work, hockey, events, and everything else that has locked up hours of my life. If there's one thing that puts my mind at ease, it's making a delicious meal! And bonus points for what I'm going to highlight in this article because the main ingredient came straight out of the HBIC vegetable garden!
I had purchased an Asian pepper plant at the local greenhouse earlier this spring as I was looking for some variety for my pepper choices. There are the standard jalapeno and banana pepper plants that are growing with it, but this Asian pepper plant produced a ton of waxy, green peppers that have been waiting to be plucked from the branches! I fully admit I had no idea these peppers had when it came to spice level nor was I sure about their taste, but I was determined to find a dish or preparation method for these peppers that would make me appreciate them!
I went to the internet to find that I had planted shishito peppers which are green while growing, but turn red when ripe. The pepper is mild when it comes to the spice level with only 5-10% having noticeable heat, and this heat is brought on by environmental stressors such as high heat and drought-like conditions. Clearly, this was something to note so I wasn't biting into an eye-watering, mouth-burning pepper! Thankfully, we haven't been short on water.
Most recipes suggested simply pan-frying them in oil and lightly salting them. However, one recipe noted the irregular shapes that shishito peppers take on, and it was suggested to toss the peppers in oil so that the peppers' skins would be evenly coated no matter which side was on the pan. I opted for this route and I have to say that not only did it work well, but there has hardly any oil left in the pan once I was done cooking. That's a tip I'll use again in the future!
Cooking them was quite easy as I simply put the heat on medium, popped the peppers into the frying pan once it heated up sufficiently, and they started to do their thing. There was sizzling and popping that happened where I failed to poke a hole in the skin to allow the air to escape from inside the pepper, but it made no difference in the end. Nothing exploded thanks to the shishido pepper's thin skin, so I got out alive on that one. That being said, let the peppers blister and char as much as you like, and then remove from the heat!
Once they had cooled slightly, I drizzled them in lemon juice, sprinkled them with salt, and added them as the side to my grilled salmon entree. The real test for these peppers was moments away!
Before we get into the taste test, I didn't cut or open up the peppers in any way, so there could have been more absorption of the salt and lemon juice I added for a bit of taste. I'm not saying that adding any flavouring or spices is a guaranteed way to make the peppers taste better, but that waxy coating that was trying to blister off may have prevented some of that absorption. I'm all about the simple flavours, though, so this worked for my taste requirements. The peppers were also easier to eat with the small stems that I left on as I could eat them with my hands, but it was just as easy to stab them with a fork. Alongside the salmon, they provided a great side option that pulled the lemon flavours together, and a 100-gram serving is 4.7 carbohydrates, around 2-3 grams of fibre, and 2.5 grams of protein!
Overall, they have a slight peppery taste as one would expect from a bell pepper, but they are very mild and taste pretty good! The salt and lemon juice helps, but they could easily be tossed in garlic and tomatoes for a delicious side or, as some suggested, eaten raw in a salad. With another crop of peppers nearly ready on the plant already, I'll be going back for more shishido peppers this summer! And, of course, I will be planting these peppers again next summer!
I spent my Monday afternoon doing a little learning about shishito peppers, preparing some salmon, making sugar-free chocolate pudding, and cooking Big Mac meatloaf for quick meals this week! Don't think that I won't be enjoying that meatloaf this week at work or elsewhere because it sounds incredible. However, I was very impressed with the shishito peppers I'm growing as a side dish, and I may start incorporating them into more meals as the summer closes!
It's back to hockey on HBIC tomorrow, but it was worth getting to know the shishito pepper after tonight's meal! Bon appetit!
Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!
I had purchased an Asian pepper plant at the local greenhouse earlier this spring as I was looking for some variety for my pepper choices. There are the standard jalapeno and banana pepper plants that are growing with it, but this Asian pepper plant produced a ton of waxy, green peppers that have been waiting to be plucked from the branches! I fully admit I had no idea these peppers had when it came to spice level nor was I sure about their taste, but I was determined to find a dish or preparation method for these peppers that would make me appreciate them!
I went to the internet to find that I had planted shishito peppers which are green while growing, but turn red when ripe. The pepper is mild when it comes to the spice level with only 5-10% having noticeable heat, and this heat is brought on by environmental stressors such as high heat and drought-like conditions. Clearly, this was something to note so I wasn't biting into an eye-watering, mouth-burning pepper! Thankfully, we haven't been short on water.
Most recipes suggested simply pan-frying them in oil and lightly salting them. However, one recipe noted the irregular shapes that shishito peppers take on, and it was suggested to toss the peppers in oil so that the peppers' skins would be evenly coated no matter which side was on the pan. I opted for this route and I have to say that not only did it work well, but there has hardly any oil left in the pan once I was done cooking. That's a tip I'll use again in the future!
Cooking them was quite easy as I simply put the heat on medium, popped the peppers into the frying pan once it heated up sufficiently, and they started to do their thing. There was sizzling and popping that happened where I failed to poke a hole in the skin to allow the air to escape from inside the pepper, but it made no difference in the end. Nothing exploded thanks to the shishido pepper's thin skin, so I got out alive on that one. That being said, let the peppers blister and char as much as you like, and then remove from the heat!
Once they had cooled slightly, I drizzled them in lemon juice, sprinkled them with salt, and added them as the side to my grilled salmon entree. The real test for these peppers was moments away!
Before we get into the taste test, I didn't cut or open up the peppers in any way, so there could have been more absorption of the salt and lemon juice I added for a bit of taste. I'm not saying that adding any flavouring or spices is a guaranteed way to make the peppers taste better, but that waxy coating that was trying to blister off may have prevented some of that absorption. I'm all about the simple flavours, though, so this worked for my taste requirements. The peppers were also easier to eat with the small stems that I left on as I could eat them with my hands, but it was just as easy to stab them with a fork. Alongside the salmon, they provided a great side option that pulled the lemon flavours together, and a 100-gram serving is 4.7 carbohydrates, around 2-3 grams of fibre, and 2.5 grams of protein!
Overall, they have a slight peppery taste as one would expect from a bell pepper, but they are very mild and taste pretty good! The salt and lemon juice helps, but they could easily be tossed in garlic and tomatoes for a delicious side or, as some suggested, eaten raw in a salad. With another crop of peppers nearly ready on the plant already, I'll be going back for more shishido peppers this summer! And, of course, I will be planting these peppers again next summer!
I spent my Monday afternoon doing a little learning about shishito peppers, preparing some salmon, making sugar-free chocolate pudding, and cooking Big Mac meatloaf for quick meals this week! Don't think that I won't be enjoying that meatloaf this week at work or elsewhere because it sounds incredible. However, I was very impressed with the shishito peppers I'm growing as a side dish, and I may start incorporating them into more meals as the summer closes!
It's back to hockey on HBIC tomorrow, but it was worth getting to know the shishito pepper after tonight's meal! Bon appetit!
Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!










No comments:
Post a Comment