- Marion Lemieux - the owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins turns 47 today.
- Patrick Roy - the co-owner, GM, and head coach for the Quebec Remparts turns 47.
- Fredrik Olausson - the assistant coach for HV71 in Sweden turns 46.
- Lorne Chabot - the first hockey player to appear on the cover of Time magazine would have been 112. He passed away in 1946.
- Roy Conacher - the last man to wear #9 for the Red Wings before Gordie Howe did would have been 96 today. He passed away in 1984.
- Dean Prentice - the man most often called "the most underrated forward of his era" turns 80 today.
- Gary Edwards - the career back-up goalie, most notably behind Rogie Vachon in Los Angeles, turns 64.
- Michael Grabner - the speedy Austrian and 2011 Calder Trophy finalist turns 24 today.
- Sven Baertschi - the Swiss blue-chip Flames prospect who made his NHL debut against the Winnipeg Jets turns 20 today.
- Jean Perron - the 1986 Stanley Cup-winning coach with the Canadiens and current coach of Israel's men's team turns 66 today.
- Teebz - lover of hockey history and author of HBIC turns 30-something today.
As for me, I'm going to take it easy and just relax. I need a break from being busy. The best birthday present I can receive today will be peace and quiet! I'm looking forward to spending a little time with my better half, and just taking it easy.
Sometimes, the best times are when you do very little.
Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!