Monday, 9 September 2019

Update On The Video

I have to hand it to the Lethbridge police on this one as they seem to have yesterday's craziness at the Crossings Ice Centre in Lethbridge under control in quick fashion. Normally, these types of investigations can drag on for a few days as police interview witnesses and people involved, but it seems the Lethbridge police force has already made decisions and is pushing forward. I don't know if they were spurred on by social media, but whatever the reason it seems they're already all over this case. Their statement about the incident at the Quest for the Cup 3-on-3 hockey tournament seems to indicate that they know exactly for whom they are looking.

From the statement released today,
Lethbridge Police have charged a 55-year-old male and additional charges are pending against a 36-year-old male after a referee and coach were assaulted Sunday during a youth hockey tournament.

On September 8, 2019 at approximately 2 p.m. police responded to a report of an assault at the Crossings Ice Centre along Mauretania Road. Investigation determined at the conclusion of the game, a 10-year-old male player was involved in a verbal altercation with a ref which escalated to the youth striking the ref twice with his stick and the ref pushing him to the ice. At that point a group of adults, including coaches and a relative of the 10-year-old player, came onto the ice. A coach from the opposing team was shoved to the ground and the ref was punched multiple times by the player’s relative and a second man before the altercation was broken up.

The relative was subsequently arrested without incident but the second male left the arena and police are attempting to locate him. Assault charges are pending against him.

The 10-year-old boy was examined by EMS and was not injured. The ref and coach both sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
I want to make something very clear here: I will not post the names of those who are being charged because all parties are innocent until proven guilty, and, secondly, I'm not here to shame the two people the Lethbridge police are charging. They know they did wrong, and the police are ensuring that they'll receive the appropriate punishment for their actions. The names are listed on the linked statement above, and that's as close I'll get to posting them here on HBIC.

The fact that both men are being charged with assault seems like the right thing to charge them with based on the video seen yesterday, and I am relieved to hear that those that were assaulted and the ten year-old player who swung his stick at the official are fine regarding injuries they may have sustained. There still needs to be something done about teaching the boy about respect for other players and officials, but that's not for the police to decide. They did their part in apprehending the two men who decided to take matters into their own hands, and I'm glad that these men will be punished for these actions.

It's just a game, folks. Let's keep it that way.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: